Chili Garlic Shrimp Stir Fry is a quick and easy shrimp recipe that you can make at home. This dish can be compared to the chili shrimp that they serve in Dampa — the only difference is that you are the one who prepared it.
I used shrimp with heads and shell because this is how I remembered this dish to be. I find shrimp more tasty if its prepared this way because the seasonings are kept within the head and shell; it blends well with the natural flavor of the shrimp. I thought that it really was a perfect combination. To support this statement, I had almost 3 cups of rice with only a few pieces of shrimp. It was really that good.
Aside from shrimp, you can also use prawns for this recipe. It does not matter if you use salted or unsalted butter — as long as its butter, not margarine or artificial butter. As for the banana ketchup, feel free to use your favorite brand as long as it is banana ketchup. Jufran is my first choice, but I sometimes use other brands when it is not available in the nearby Filipino store. The sherry cooking wine helps improve the overall flavor of the dish, so it is recommended.
Try this Chili Garlic Shrimp Recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs. shrimp, cleaned
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- ½ cup banana ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoon sherry cooking wine
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- Melt butter in a pan.
- Once the butter melts, continue to heat until hot.
- Add the garlic. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until light brown.
- Put-in the shrimp. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour-in the sherry. Continue to cook until the liquid completely evaporates.
- Add ketchup and Sriracha sauce. Continue to stir fry for 1 minute.
- Put-in the green onions. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!