Luncheon meat such as Spam is good to have for breakfast. I like mine crispy so that I can enjoy it with better with either bread or fried rice. Sometimes I eat my crispy spam steak with Filipino pandesal, and there are times when I eat it with sinangag (Filipino garlic fried rice) with banana ketchup and fried egg (I call it Spamsilog). Yum yum or shall I say #nomnomnom and #happytummy.
Making your Spam steak or any kind of canned luncheon meat crispy is easy; all you need is cornstarch and some flour; you will also need some egg to act as an initial coating. This lets the cornstarch and flour stick to the Spam steak and it also improves its texture and consistency.
Crispy Spam Steak is also perfect to have with scrambles eggs. Having the Spam with eggs balances the flavor, since luncheon meat can be too salty sometimes. It will also be great to have with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate.
Try this quick and easy Crispy Spam Steak Recipe. Let me know what your think.
- 1 (12 oz.) can Spam light
- 2 pieces eggs
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup cooking oil
- Remove the Spam luncheon meat from the can and slice into serving pieces.
- Meanwhile, heat the cooking oil in a deep frying pan.
- Combine the garlic powder and egg. Beat until both ingredients are well incorporated. Set aside.
- Combine flour and cornstarch. Mix well and set aside.
- Dip each sliced Spam in the beaten egg then dredge in flour. Do this step twice to make the coat thicker.
- Fry the Spam coated with flour and cornstarch 3 to 4 slices at a time. The number of slices to cook at a given time will depend on the size of your pan: the wider the pan, the more slices you can cook at the same time. Cook one side in medium heat until the color turns medium brown and the texture becomes crispy. Turn the Spam slice over to cook the other side.
- Remove the Crispy fried Spam steaks from then pan. Place in a plate lined with paper towel.
- Serve with ketchup. Share and enjoy!