This is a recipe for Pinoy Style Carbonara. Let me forewarn you that this is totally different from the original carbonara recipe because I tweaked it to fit the Filipino taste. This means that the spaghetti carbonara that this recipe will produce has more sauce and it is meatier. It is also more flavorful.
There has been several recipes of Filipino carbonara available, but most of these do not use ground beef. I made sure to add ground beef to this recipe to make the dish meatier and more flavorful. Since the creamy sauce cooks quick, there won’ be enough time to make the ground beef tender and extract flavors from it, so I added a cup of beef broth before the cream and made sure that it completely evaporates, and then the cream and the rest of the ingredients were added.
Feel free to follow my recommendations, or you can use this recipe as a guide and alter it according to your preference. I think that this dish overall is really good. I like how rich and creamy this was. The mushroom, beef, bacon, and cream all worked in harmony to make this dish successful. Feel free to add more bacon and Parmesan cheese before serving.
If you have plans of serving pasta during the Holidays, you should consider this recipe. Enjoy!
Try this rich and creamy Pinoy Style Carbonara recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- ½ lb. bacon, chopped
- ½ lb. ground beef
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Heat a cooking pot. Sear the bacon. Continue to cook until the fat comes out and the bacon becomes crispy.
- Remove the bacon from the pot including half of the bacon fat. Set the bacon aside. We will add it later. As for the bacon fat, you can keep it in a sealed container for later use or you may discard it.
- Heat the remaining bacon fat in the pot. Add the ground beef and cook until it browns.
- Add the onion and garlic. Stir and cook until the onion becomes tender.
- Pour the beef broth. Let boil. Continue to cook until the liquid evaporates completely.
- Add the mushrooms. Stir.
- Slide-in the butter and then continue to cook until it melts.
- Pour 2 ¼ cups of heavy whipping cream. Stir and let boil. Set the heat to medium.
- Add Parmesan cheese, salt and ground black pepper.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks and then add the remaining ¼ cup heavy whipping cream. Continue to beat until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture on the pot. Continuously stir until the texture of the white sauce becomes thick.
- Arrange a serving of spaghetti in a bowl and pour-in some carbonara sauce. Mix well.
- Twirl the spaghetti carbonara using a fork and then transfer to a pasta bowl. Top with bacon and Parmesan cheese.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Pinoy Style Carbonara