The name Tofu and Green Bean Stir Fry in Oyster Sauce with Salted Black Beans might sound long and complex, but don’t get intimidated by it. Anyone can cook this dish and this simple and easy vegetarian recipe will guide you on how to prepare this step by step.
Before starting, make sure to pay attention to the type of tofu needed for this recipe. There are many varieties of tofu in the market. You will need extra firm regular tofu for this recipe. Please make sure that you get regular tofu and not the soft silken variety. Regular extra firm tofu is fit for frying and sautéing, which is what this recipe calls for.
The type of green bean that I used is known as “sitaw” or “sitao” in the Philippines. This is also popularly referred to as snake beans, string beans, and yard long beans. Since the beans are very long, I cut it into shorter pieces (approximately 2 inches).
Salted black beans are not your ordinary black beans. These are small black beans that have been fermented in salt. I used the canned black beans for this recipe. These beans are very salty to begin with, it is recommended to wash it first with water before cooking it.
Tofu and Green Bean Stir Fry in Oyster Sauce with Salted Black Beans is best eaten over rice. This is one of my favorite vegetarian dishes because it is tasty and delicious. In addition, it contains a good amount of protein and nutrient. I also like how it keeps me full longer.
Try this Tofu and Green Bean Stir Fry in Oyster Sauce with Salted Black Beans Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 10 ounces regular extra firm tofu, fried
- 8 snake beans, cut in 2 inch length
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons salted black beans, mashed
- ½ cup chicken stock or water
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Cut the fried tofu into cubes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil gets hot, saute the onion until soft.
- Add the snake beans, peppers, and salted black beans. Stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the tofu. Continue to stir fry for 1 minutes.
- Combine oyster sauce and chicken broth (or water) in a bowl. Mix well. Pour the mixture into the pan.
- Add ground black pepper and garlic powder. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer to serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!