Salted Egg Prawn is simply amazing. Imagine the good taste of nilasing na hipon elevated to a whole new level by tossing in a sauce with creamy salted egg yolks. This dish is totally insane, in a good way.
If you have not tried this dish yet, all you have to do is check the recipe below and watch the cooking video so that you can see the entire process. Let me give you a quick overview on how I made salted egg prawns.
This dish involves two major processes. Don’t get intimidated though, because each process is simple.
The first process is to prepare the prawn. This involves marinating it with cooking wine and Knorr Shrimp Cube. This step helps infuse flavor into the prawns. The marinated prawn needs to be dredged in cornstarch and then deep fried until light brown.
The second process is all about the salted egg yolk sauce. You will need to mash salted egg yolks in a bowl. I used commercially available salted duck eggs for this recipe. This is the one which we usually use to make salted egg and tomato salad. I then mixed heavy whipping cream with the mashed egg yolk and set the mixture aside. Butter is melted in a pan and garlic along with chili and curry leaves are sauteed in it. The last step in the second process is to add the egg yolk mixture.
Once the first and second major processes are completed, all that is left is to toss to deep fried prawns into the salted egg yolk sauce. You can now enjoy your salted egg yolk prawn with a cup of warm white rice.
Try this Salted Egg Prawn Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Salted Egg Prawns
- 12 to 15 pieces prawn deveined
- ½ piece Knorr Shrimp Cube
- ¾ cups cooking wine
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- 2 cups cooking oil
Salted Egg Yolk Sauce Ingredients
- 4 pieces salted egg yolk
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 pieces Thai chili pepper sliced into small pieces
- 15 to 20 pieces curry leaves or hot pepper leaves
- Prepare the prawn by diluting Knorr Shrimp Cube in a cooking wine. Pour the mixture onto the prawn. Marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Discard the marinade. Dredge the marinated prawn in cornstarch.
- Deep fry in medium heat until the prawn turns light to golden brown. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Prepare the salted egg yolk sauce by mashing the egg yolks in a bowl. Pour heavy whipping cream. Stir until all ingredients are well blended.
- Melt butter in a pan. Put-in garlic, curry leaves, and chili pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the salted egg yolk mixture. Stir and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the deep fried prawn in the pan. Toss to coat with sauce.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy