Pastillas de leche are sweet milk candies that are usually served for dessert. An authentic recipe will require the use of Carabao’s (water buffalo) milk and cooking is also necessary.
What we have here is a no-cook quick and easy dessert recipe intended to satisfy your cravings right away. Also, cooking or heating the ingredients is not necessary. All you have to do is mix the ingredients together and voila, a sweet delicious milk candy that you can have for dessert in no time.
Like what I’ve mentioned, the best Pastillas are the ones that are made using Carabao’s milk. San Miguel, Bulacan and Laguna are the places where you can get the best and authentic Pastillas.
Since I can’t find any Carabao’s milk around (and using fresh cow’s milk will have a big difference in taste), I decided to feature a more quick and easier version. I understand that the taste of powdered milk is almost similar to fresh cow’s milk since they come from the same source. However, using powdered milk will save you time and effort since using fresh milk requires cooking.
In your opinion, which provinces or delicacy stores in the Philippines makes the best Pastillas?
- 2 cups powdered milk, sifted
- 1 can (14 ounces) condensed milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar, sifted
- Place the condensed milk in a large mixing bowl.
- Gradually fold-in the powdered milk. The texture of the mixture will be similar to dough once all the powdered milk is completely added.
- Scoop some of the mixture and mold into cylinders.
- Roll each molded cylindrical mixture on granulated sugar.
- Wrap in paper or cellophane.
- Serve for dessert. Share and enjoy!