Clam Chowder is a thickened creamy seafood soup composed of minced clams and chopped potatoes. This Easy Clam Chowder Recipe will yield a rich tasting thick soup that you will surely enjoy.
In making Clam Chowder, you can use either fresh clams or canned minced clams (packaged in 6.5 ounce cans). This Easy Clam Chowder Recipe suggest the use of canned minced clams because of availability reasons. As for the cream, I like to use half and half with some flour as the thickening agent.
Filipino Vegetable Recipes
However, feel free to use fresh milk or all-purpose cream if you desire. The secret of this Easy Clam Chowder Recipe lies in the clam juice. The juice adds flavor to the soup making it more pleasing to the palate. Clam juice can be purchased in your local super market; it is usually found in the isle where canned fish and seafood are located.
Try this Clam Chowder Recipe and let me know what you think.
- 2 cans chopped clams (6.5 ounce cans)
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- ¾ cup celery rib, chopped
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 bacon slices, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups half and half
- ½ cup flour (all-purpose)
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 cup clam juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a cooking pot.
- Add onions and celery. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the vegetables soften
- Drain the juice from the clam and pour in along with the extra clam juice. Let boil.
- Put-in potatoes and thyme. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender
- Combine half and half and flour. Mix well and pour the mixture in the cooking pot while stirring continuously. Cook until desired thickness is achieved.
- Put-in chopped clams and cook for 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with crumbled bacon.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!