Crispy Lechon Belly has so many names. It is called bellychon, lechon belly, lechon liempo, roasted pork belly, and what have you. One thing is for sure, whatever this dish is referred to, the taste and flavor should be the same. This means that it should be tasty and delicious while being crispy on the outside.
This Crispy Lechon Belly Recipe is for those who have a conventional oven. Don’t worry, I will still develop a version that makes use of the traditional grilling method. For now, let’s get that oven heated so that we can start.
Note that you will need to steam the rolled pork belly first before roasting it. The steaming happens when star anise, onion and water is placed into the roasting pan and is completely covered with foil. Covering the roasting pan with aluminum foil is a very important step because this traps the liquid within the pan, which makes the pork belly tender, to the point that it can be very crispy when roasted afterwards.
In addition, the flavor of onion and star anise gets infused into the meat while steaming (baking while covered in foil), making it very tasty. Roasting the pork belly in high heat afterwards makes the skin crispy. The process might sound complicated, but it is really simple, as long as you have a conventional oven in your kitchen.
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes
This is best served with homemade lechon sauce. You can also serve this as it is, but a little vinegar will be be better. If you have questions, let me know. Send in a comment or message me. Cheers!
Try this Crispy Lechon Belly Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 6 lbs. whole slab boneless pork belly
- 1 large bunch lemongrass, pounded
- 1 large bunch scallions
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 7 pieces star anise
- 1 medium red onion, wedged
- 1 pint water
- Combine rub ingredients in a bowl. Mix well.Rub all over the pork belly.
- Arrange scallions and pounded lemongrass in the middle of the slab. Roll. Use a kitchen twine to secure the rolled pork belly. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Add star anise and wedged onion into the roaster. Pour 1 pint water.
- Arrange rolled pork belly over the roasting pan. Securely wrap the roasting pan with an aluminum foil.
- Bake for 2 hours.
- Remove the foil. Increase the heat to 475F. Roast for 1½ hours.
- Remove from the oven. Let the meat cool down.
- Slice into serving pieces. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!