This is a basic recipe for Chicken Mami. It is enough to provide you with a good tasting Filipino chicken noodle soup. However, feel free to use this as a base recipe to develop your version further. For example, you can add seasonings and spices to the soup base (broth) to make it more flavorful. You may also add other ingredients as you please.
When cooking for my family, I like our chicken mami to be as simple as possible (just like this one). We all have different preferences when it comes to dishes such as this. I want to make sure that everyone in the family is able to adjust the taste of the dish based on their preference. Each of us can add our preferred seasonings and spices, after it is served in front of us. I like to have mine with a dash of onion powder, along with some patis and calamansi.
The soup base for this recipe is composed of chicken broth and water, along with salt. You can also do it without the chicken broth, as long as a piece of chicken cube is added to the water. The use of bone-in chicken also helped make the soup tastier.
If you want a very tasty soup base for your noodle dish, I suggest adding a small piece of onion (minced) to it. You can also try using onion powder if you don’t want your soup to have small pieces of onion floating around. Refer to this chicken mami recipe for more details.
Noodles can be fresh or dried, depending on what is available. I prefer fresh noodles though. If you will be using dried packaged noodles, always refer to the package instructions when cooking. Fresh noodles do not take long to cook. I simply boiled mine for 3 minutes and drained the water.
Feel free to use any toppings that you desire. To me, the basics are julienne carrots, cabbage, and boiled eggs. Of course, it should always have chopped scallions and lots of deep-fried garlic.
Try this Chicken Mami Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 lb. bone-in chicken breasts
- 1 medium carrot peeled
- ½ small Napa cabbage
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 lb. fresh egg noodles
- ¼ cup toasted garlic
- 4 pieces hard boiled egg sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Combine chicken broth and water in a cooking pot. Let boil.
- Add salt and chicken breasts. Cover and boil between low to medium heat for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot. Let it cool down. Shred the meat from the bone. Set aside. Save the broth used for boiling. It will be used later.
- Slice the carrot into thin strips (julienne) and then chop the Napa cabbage. Also chop the scallions. Set aside.
- Prepare the fresh noodles by boiling 4 cups water. Once the water starts to boil, add the noodles. Let the water boil once more, and then continue to cook the noodles for 3 minutes. Remove from the pot and arrange in a serving bowl.
- Top the noodles in the bowl with shredded chicken, julienne carrot, chopped cabbage, and slices of boiled eggs.
- Pour the hot broth into the bowl. Sprinkle with scallions and roasted or toasted garlic.
- Serve with a condiment composed of patis (fish sauce) and calamansi.
- Share and enjoy!