This Filipino Shrimp Curry Recipe is simple, straightforward, and the result is delicious. I have been making my shrimp curry this way for as long as I can remember. This recipe always provides the result that I like, may it be for shrimp or other ingredients, like fish fillet or clams. I suggest that you should give this a try too.
I recommend this recipe if you have not tried to cook any curry dishes yet, or if you are totally new to cooking. The steps that I will share to you are all basic and easy. You should be able to complete your first curry dish, and be proud of your accomplishment after following this recipe.
Note that using more than the suggested amount of curry powder can have a negative impact on your dish. Follow the exact measurements in the recipe if you are just starting to learn how to cook. You can always tailor the flavor based on your preference after your first try.
I am using either coconut milk or coconut cream to make curry because it helps my dish become rich and creamy. It also blends well with curry to create a nice thick and flavorful sauce.
The shrimp cube in this recipe is needed to elevate the taste of shrimp. This provides balance in flavor and makes the entire dish more more enjoyable. It also blends well with the other ingredients making the entire dish successful.
Have this with warm rice and share it with friends and family.
Try this Shrimp Curry Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 lb. shrimp, deveined, head and shell removed
- 1 Knorr Shrimp Cube
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium ripe tomato
- ½ lemon or 2 pieces calamansi
- 2 cups coconut milk
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 thumb ginger, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1½ to 2 tablespoons pats (fish sauce)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Arrange shrimp in a large bowl. Squeeze lemon over it, season with ground black pepper and cayenne pepper powder. Mix well. Marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Once the oil becomes hot, saute onion for 30 seconds.
- Add garlic, ginger, and tomato. Cook until the onion becomes tender.
- Pour coconut milk into the pot. Stir and let boil. Cover the cooking pot. Continue to cook in medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add curry powder. Stir until it dilutes in coconut milk.
- Add Knorr Shrimp Cube. Stir. Continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder and bell peppers (red and green). Stir. Cover and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Put the marinated shrimp into the pot. Stir. Continue to cook in medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Season with patis (fish sauce). Add parsley. Stir. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!