This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Pancit Bihon is a popular Filipino rice noodle dish. This is made-up of rice noodles, meat, and vegetables. Shrimp Pancit Bihon is a version that use shrimp, along with the usual vegetables such as carrots, cabbage, and snow peas. It is a quick recipe that results to a great tasting Filipino noodle dish.
I did mention that this recipe is quick. It is also simple and easy. I liked how it tasted overall. It was really good; I was able to taste the shrimp, which I think helped a lot to make the dish a success. Traditional pancit versions get most of its flavor from the soy sauce. That is not a bad thing. However, we can always go the extra mile by adding more flavor to our pancit to make it taste fabulous. In this case, the fresh shrimp was not enough to provide the necessary shrimp flavor — good thing shrimp cubes exist.
Another way of adding flavor is to crush the head of the shrimp and wring it to get all the juice out, assuming that you are using fresh shrimp. The shrimp juice will add flavor to your pancit. If you are using supermarket-bought frozen packaged shrimp, chances are that these won’t have their heads on.
I like my shrimp pancit bihon served with calamansi or lime. I also add a few drops of patis (fish sauce) when I am about to eat. It will be best if pancit bihon is eaten along with lumpiang shanghai. They make a good pair, in my opinion. What do you think?
Try this Shrimp Pancit Bihon Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 8 to 12 pieces fresh shrimp shelled and head removed
- 1/2 small cabbage
- 1 lb. pansit bihon dried rice noodles
- 1 Knorr Shrimp Cube
- 3/4 cup carrots juilienne
- 3/4 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed and chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Once the oil gets hot, pan-fry the shrimp for 1 minute per side. Remove from the pot. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, using the remaining oil (you can add more if needed), saute garlic, onion, and celery.
- Add the parsley and ground black pepper. Stir.
- Pour-in soy sauce and water. Let boil.
- Add the shrimp cube. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the carrot, cabbage, and snow peas.
- Add the pancit bihon. Gently toss until it absorbs all the liquid. Note: you can add more water if needed.
- Put the pan-fried shrimp back into the pot. Cook for 3 minutes more.
- Tranfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!