Bacon and Egg Filipino Chicken Adobo is a version of the original chicken adobo that has bacon and hard-boiled eggs. I must say that this is tastier because of the bacon. It blended well with all the ingredients. If you are trying to cut your rice intake, be forewarned. This dish can lead you to eat more rice than you expect.
I started the process by marinating the chicken in vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, along with whole peppercorns overnight. This enabled the chicken to absorb the marinade better, which makes it flavorful. The minimum amount of time needed to marinate the chicken is 3 hours. If you are planning to make this for lunch, you should be able to start marinating after having breakfast.
As for the bacon, these were chopped into pieces and then cooked directly on the pan until the grease are extracted and the bacon becomes crisp. I used the bacon grease to pan-fry the marinated chicken. This crisp bacon, on the other hand, was removed from the pan for the meantime and will be added when the chicken is simmered.
You can make your Bacon and Egg Filipino Chicken Adobo your way. This can be saucy or dry. I like it somewhere in the middle.
I know that this version is not common, but I strongly suggest that you give it try. Who knows, you might enjoy it like I did. Cheers!
Try this Bacon and Egg Filipino Chicken Adobo Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Bacon and Egg Chicken Adobo
- 2 lbs. chicken sliced into serving pieces
- 4 boiled eggs
- 5 bacon strips chopped
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Salt to taste optional
- Marinade ingredients:
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorn
- Combine chicken, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce and whole peppercorn in a bowl. Mix well. Cover the bowl and marinate the chicken for at least 3 hours. Note:I suggest to marinate overnight for better results.
- Heat the bacon in a pan. Continue to cook the bacon until the oil is extracted and the bacon becomes crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan. Set aside.
- Pan-fry the marinated chicken in bacon grease (usen medium heat) for 3 minutes per side. Add the garlic used to marinate the chicken.
- Pour the remaining marinade ingredients in the pan and add water. Also add the crisp bacon. Let boil. Cover and cook between low to medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar. Stir.
- Add boiled eggs. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!