This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This recipe for Basic Chicken Afritada might be simple, but it sure is tasty and has the traditional flavor of this beloved Filipino dish. This is how I make it when I feel like having a simple chicken stew meal. Another way to make one is by following my other chicken afritada recipe.
This recipe makes use of chicken slices with bone and skin on. Cut the chicken into serving pieces. The size of each piece is all up to you. I made use of a medium-sized whole chicken to make this dish. It was cut into medium decent sized pieces because my family likes it that way. If many people will share your Chicken Afritada, you can cut the chicken into smaller pieces and perhaps add more potato and carrot.
I use store bought chicken broth for this recipe. You may use regular chicken stock or chicken cube. If you are using chicken cube (also called chicken bouillon), you’ll need to add 2 to 2 ½ cups water. Whether you use broth or cube, the taste should still be delicious.
Tomato sauce is what we usually use to cook tomato based stew. Have you tried making one using tomato paste, or shall I say have you cooked with tomato paste yet? This might be a good opportunity for you to make use of this ingredient and experience it. The taste should be the same as tomato sauce, but the paste gives your dish a thicker texture. You can always balance it by adding more broth or water.
I think that it is worth mentioning that dried bay leaves play a big part in the success of this basic chicken afritada. However, since this should be a basic recipe, I made this ingredient optional. I recommend using it to enhance the taste of the dish.
Try this yummy Basic Chicken Afritada Recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs. chicken cut into serving pieces
- 1 medium onion minced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 large baking potato cubed
- 1 large carrot cubed
- 4 pieces dried bay leaves optional
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat oil in a pot.
- Saute the onion and garlic.
- Add the chicken slices. Continue to saute until the chicken gets light brown.
- Pour the chicken broth and add the tomato paste. Stir and let boil. Add the dried bay leaves and sugar. Cover the pot and adjust the heat to low. Cook for 35 minutes. Note: Add water or chicken broth if it starts to dry-up.
- Add the potato and carrot. Stir. cover and continue to cook in medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!