Do you like dishes cooked in tomato-based sauce? If you will be throwing the question back to me, I’ll definitely say YES. I adore stews in tomato sauce, pasta, and and other similar dishes, just like this chicken afritada.
My most favorite Filipino food, pork menudo(this was my very first recipe post, by the way), is also cooked in tomato sauce.I asked the question because I observed that there are plenty of delectable Filipino foods cooked in tomato or tomato-based sauces. Take the Beef Mechado, Chicken Asado, Beef Kaldereta, Lengua Estofada, and even the Beef Pochero as few of the examples. I enjoy eating all these dishes and I never get tired of the taste because each of them has a unique flavor that differentiates one from the other.
Here we are with another delicious tomato-based chicken dish that will surely capture your attention: Chicken Afritada. This might be an everyday dish served in Filipino households; however, having the complete ingredients and putting some love in your cooking will definitely turn this ordinary dish into something extra-ordinary.
It is given that we all have different ways in cooking certain dishes. There might be differences in ingredients and methods but we still refer to the same dish. I am curious; I love know how Chicken Afritada is done in the different regions of the Philippines. How do you do this in your hometown?
Thank you in advance for your response.
Watch the Video on How to Cook Chicken Afritada
Chicken Afritada Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken cut into serving pieces
- 1 large potato quartered
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 1 large bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup green peas
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 pieces hotdogs sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 pieces dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Pour-in cooking oil in a cooking pot or casserole then apply heat.
- Pan-fry the chicken until the color turns light brown (about 3 minutes per side).
- Remove the chicken from the cooking pot.
- On the same cooking pot, sauté garlic and onions.
- Put-in the sliced hotdogs and pan-fried chicken then cook for a minute.
- Pour-in tomato sauce and chicken stock then add bay leaves. Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add the potato and carrots then simmer for 7 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Put-in the bell pepper, green peas, salt, sugar, and ground black pepper then cook for 3 minutes more.
- Turn-off heat then transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve with steamed rice. Share and enjoy!