This Basic Tortang Talong Recipe shows the simplest way on how I cook tortang talong. This may seem familiar to you because you might be doing the same thing, or even something simpler. The purpose of this post is to educate beginners on how to cook eggplant omelet by demonstrating the process step-by-step in a manner that is easier to comprehend.
There is really nothing special about this recipe, except for the fact that tortang talong is a quick and good dish to prepare. I liked how it tastes when eaten with ketchup and rice (I am leaning towards banana ketchup for this dish). In addition, it is perfect for vegetarians (not vegans though since it has egg) and for those who want to skip meat even for a short period of time.
I grew up in Metro Manila before I moved here in Chicago. I have seen how my mom, aunts, friend’s mom, and other cooks prepare the eggplant before making tortang talong out of it. Based on my observations, the most common way of steaming eggplant while removing the skin is to place it directly over fire in a stove top—this is what I did during the demonstration which you can see when you watch the cooking video below.
What is your basic tortang talong version? Feel free to share some tips and ideas by commenting below. Thanks in advance.
Try this Basic Tortang Talong Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Basic Tortang Talong
- 1 Chinese eggplant
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- Heat the eggplant directly over fire in a stovetop until the skin of the eggplant turns brown to black, Rotate after a few minutes until all parts of are almost burnt.
- Let the eggplant cooldown and then peel the skin off using your fingers. The inside part of the eggplant should be steamed just right at this point.
- Arrange the peeled eggplant in a plate and then flatten using a fork. Set aside.
- Beat the egg in a bowl and add salt and pepper. Continue beating until the salt and pepper are well blended.
- Dip the eggplant in the egg mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan. Once the oil gets hot, start to fry one side of the eggplant until it gets medium brown.
- Pour the remaining egg mixture on top of the eggplant. Turn it over and fry the other side until it gets light to medium brown.
- Remove from the pan and arrange in a wide plate. Serve with banana ketchup.
- Share and enjoy!
Watch the video on How to Cook Basic Tortang Talong