Beef Bulalo or boiled beef shank soup is a popular Filipino beef soup. It is good to have on a cold or rainy day. This dish is composed of tender beef shank along with vegetables such as Napa cabbage, long green beans, and corn.
Batangas bulalo is a simple version of this dish in which the meat is traditionally simmered for hours until tender. it also makes use of minimal ingredients.
I love beef bulalo because it is comforting, in my opinion. It makes me feel warm and cozy and I also enjoy eating the combination of cabbage, long green beans, and sweet corn, along with tender beef in soup form. I like this best with warm white rice along with condiments composed of fish sauce (locally known in the Philippines as patis), calamansi (or calamondin), and chili pepper.
This beef bulalo recipe requires a pressure cooker. It makes the cooking process quicker by making the beef extra tender in around 40 minutes, compared to the traditional way that takes around 3 hours of boiling. This recipe is what I usually follow when I am pressed for time and still want a high quality beef bulalo.
Take it easy on your rice intake though, because the good taste of this dish can increase your appetite. Happy cooking!
Try this Beef Bulalo Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Beef Bulalo Recipe
- 2 ½ lbs. beef shank bulalo
- 1 Knorr beef cube
- 6 to 8 leaves Napa cabbage
- 1 sweet corn cut into 5 small pieces
- 15 to 18 pieces green beans
- 1 medium yellow onion wedged
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorn
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce patis
- 8 cups water
- Boil water in a pressure cooker.
- Add onions and whole peppercorn. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add beef shank. Let boil.
- Add Knorr pork cube. Stir. Cover the pressure cooker. Pressure cook for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the cover once pressure is out. Add corn. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Put the green beans into the cooker and pour fish sauce. Stir. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Arrange fresh Napa cabbage (pechay baguio) in a serving bowl. Transfer the contents of the pressure cooker in the same bowl. Serve hot with patis, calamansi, and siling labuyo.
- Share and enjoy!