Bulalo Beef Pares is a version of my favorite Pares recipe that makes use of beef shank, which is locally know in the Philippines as bulalo. It has the same delicious taste of pares and the richness and beefy flavor of bulalo. Believe me, it is really good!
Bulalo Beef Pares is a crossover between a Filipino beef shank soup known as Bulalo, and a favorite meal combination composed of stewed beef, garlic fried rice, and soup — this is called beef pares.
This recipe literally performs the same process to make each individual dish. For example, the first process involves making the beef tender by boiling in a pressure cooker. This is almost the same step as cooking bulalo, except that I had to cook the beef shank further by stewing it in a sweet soy based mixture, which is actually the preparation for making beef pares.
If you are interested to try this dish, I suggest to schedule it during the weekend so that you will have extra time to prepare and enjoy the dish. Take it easy on the garlic fried rice because there is a huge chance that you will need this advice.
Try this Bulalo Beef Pares Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Bulalo Beef Pares Recipe
- 3 lbs. beef shank
Ingredients for boiling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups water
- 1 yellow onion wedged
- Pour water into a pressure cooker. Let boil,
- Add wedged onion, ground black pepper, and salt.
- Put the beef shank in the pressure cooker. Cover and pressure cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the beef shank. Set the beef stock aside.
- In a clean pot, heat oil.
- Saute garlic, onion, and ginger.
- Add the boiled beef shank. Cook for 1 minute.
- Pour soy sauce and 1 3/4 cups of beef stock (water used to boil beef) into the pot. Let boil. Cover and then cook in medium heat for 8 minutes.
- Add star anise. Cook for 12 minutes. Remove the star anise from the pot.
- Add brown sugar. Stir. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with garlic fried rice and beef stock (soup).
- Share and enjoy!