Beef Hinalang is a spicy Filpino soup dish. There are several versions of this dish. This recipe depicts the version from Mindanao. If you love spicy food, this recipe is a must try.
Spicy beef soup is great, in my opinion. This is the reason why I always have a saucer full of crushed chili and patis every time I eat bulalo.
How to Cook Beef Hinalang
Making this soup at home is simple. It can also be quicker if you slice the beef into thinner pieces.
Start by sautéing the aromatics. Each ingredient helps make the dish flavorful. I first saute the onion, then the garlic. The ginger goes last. Make sure to stir often while doing this step.
Add the thinly sliced beef once the onion softens. I have to emphasize the manner of slicing the beef so that you are reminded. We all want to save time when cooking, don’t we?
Cook the beef until it browns and then add vinegar and soy sauce. I spoke about the amount of vinegar to use in the video below. People who are cooking this dish for the first time should first try to see how much vinegar works for them. I suggest to add 2 tablespoons (per this recipe), or even lesser than that. You can always add more towards the end if needed.
Beef soup should always be flavorful. This is the reason why I always use Knorr Beef Cube on every beef soup that I make. It gives the dish a solid beef flavor that complements well with the other ingredients.
It’s time to pour the water into the pot. Cook the beef for 35 minutes or until tender. Using thicker slices of beef can extend the cooking time. Use low to medium heat for best results.
Add the chili pepper and scallions once the beef tenderizes. Season with ground black pepper.
This dish is best enjoyed with rice. Some people like to have this in the morning to ease the uncomfortable feeling as a result of hangover.
Try this spicy beef hinalang recipe. Have fun cooking!
Beef Hinalang Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs beef thinly sliced
- 1 piece Knorr Beef Cube
- 3/4 cup green onion chopped
- 12 pieces Thai chili pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 3 thumbs ginger sliced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pot. Saute onion, garlic, and ginger.
- Once onion softens, add beef. Saute until medium brown.
- Pour vinegar and soy sauce. Let boil.
- Add Knorr Beef Cube. Stir and then pour-in water. Let the water boil. Continue to boil in low to medium heat for 30 minutes of until the beef gets tender. Note: add more water if needed.
- Add Thai chili pepper and green onions. Season with ground black pepper. Cook for 2 minutes. Serve hot. Share and enjoy!