Chicken Hinalang (also known as Halang-halang na Manok) is a spicy chicken soup popular in the southern parts of the Philippines. It is somewhat similar to tinola at first glance, but certain ingredients makes it unique which gives this dish its own identity.
How to Cook Chicken Hinalang
Cooking Halang-halang na Manok is simple and easy. The initial process is similar to making chicken adobo (you’ll see what I mean when you watch the video below), but it changes once the the soup base is added along with the other ingredients. This is a unique dish that you should try.
Start by marinating chicken in soy sauce and vinegar for at least 10 minutes. By the way, I intentionally cut the chicken into smaller pieces to serve more people. Feel free to adjust the size of each serving piece based on your preference.
The next step is sautéing. Saute garlic, onion, and ginger until onion softens. I like using lots of garlic when making this dish. It is best to let the garlic brown a bit before adding the onion. I think that the flavor of toasted garlic makes this dish taste better.
The result of the next procedure is when you’ll notice the resemblance of hinalang with adobo. Add the marinated chicken along with all the marinade. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes. You’ll notice a familiar dish afterwards, except that this has ginger.
Pour water and let it boil before adding Knorr Chicken Cube and lemongrass. These ingredients help make this taste great. Continue boiling until the chicken gets tender. This takes 30 minutes or so.
Remove the lemongrass afterwards. Add Thai chili pepper and chayote. I cook this for around 5 to 7 minutes to extract the spice from the chili. Add the remaining ingredients afterwards and season with salt and ground black pepper as needed.
This dish is best served during cold or rainy days. It can be enjoyed as a meal with rice, or as an appetizer by itself.
Try this easy Chicken Hinalang Recipe. Happy cooking!
Chicken Hinalang (Halang-halang na Manok)
- 1 lb. chicken cut into serving pieces
- 1 piece Knorr Chicken Cube
- 1 piece red bell pepper Julienne
- 1 piece chayote sliced
- 10 pieces Thai chili pepper chopped
- 1 bunch lemongrass
- 1 bunch green onion cut in 3-inch pieces
- 1 cup hot pepper leaves
- 1 piece red onion sliced
- 4 thumbs ginger crushed
- 8 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 quarts water
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Combine chicken, soy sauce, and vinegar. Mix well. Let it stay for 10 minutes.
- Sauté garlic, onion, and ginger.
- Add marinated chicken once onion softens. Continue sautéing until chicken for 5 minutes.
- Pour 1 ½ quarts water into the cooking pot. Let boil.
- Add Knorr Chicken Cube and lemongrass. Cover and cook in low heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove lemongrass. Add chili pepper and sayote. Cook for 7 minutes.
- Put-in bell pepper, hot pepper leaves, and green onions. Continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Serve hot with rice. Share and enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Chicken Hinalang