This easy chicken adobo recipe is perfect for beginners. You should be able to cook your own Filipino adobo at home using this basic method with great outcome.
Chicken Adobo has been associated with Filipino cuisine since time immemorial. Cooking chicken using the inadobo method results in a great-tasting dish. It also helps keep prolong its storage life.
This method involves two procedures, boiling and frying. Here is how I did it:
Combine the chicken pieces along with a portion of the garlic and all other ingredients (except for the oil) in a cooking pot. Boil each side of the chicken for 10 minutes. This will ensure that the chicken gets cooked completely.
The frying part comes next. Using a clean pan, saute the remaining garlic until it browns. Pan-fry the boiled chicken for 1 minute per side. This gives the meat a nice texture. Tenderize the chicken by pouring the sauce from the cooking pot. Cook until the sauce reduces to half. That’s it!
This gives your dish a character, compared to just simply boiling all the ingredients together.
I love to have my adobo with rice. Newly cooked white rice is the best. I also love it with garlic fried rice. Sometimes, I add a piece of boiled egg to my meal. Yummy!
Try this chicken adobo recipe. Let me know what you think.
Easy Chicken Adobo Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken sliced into serving pieces
- 1 piece Knorr Chicken Cube
- 1 head garlic crushed
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole peppercorn
- 5 pieces dried bay leaves
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- Combine chicken, 1/4 of the total amount of garlic, whole peppercorn, dried bay leaves, soy sauce, vinegar, and water in a cooking pot. Cover and let boil. Stir and make sure that all ingredients are well blended.
- Add Knorr Chicken Cube and sugar. Stir. Cover the pot and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over and cook the opposite side for another 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a clean pan. Saute remaining garlic until it turns light brown.
- Pan fry the chicken for 1 minute per side. Pour the adobo sauce into the pan. Boil until it reduces to half.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with warm rice.