This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Chicken Lomi is a type of Filipino chicken noodle soup. Compared to traditional chicken soup, the broth for this particular soup version is thicker. Raw egg is added to the broth making it almost similar in texture to egg drop soup. What makes the soup even thicker is the mixture of water and cornstarch, which is added towards the end of the cooking process.
Unlike popular versions of Lomi, which are mostly composed of meat and noodles, this recipe utilizes vegetables such as carrot and cabbage along with fresh slices of lean chicken breast. It implies that that this chicken lomi version is healthier because it contains servings of vegetables, has high protein content from the chicken breasts, and low in fat.
What do I like most about this recipe? Aside from the nutrition aspect, there are two things that I can quickly think of: It is fast and easy to prepare; and it is delicious. Using thinly sliced boneless chicken breast saved me time in cooking the chicken; boiling and shredding were not required. Instead, the fresh chicken was cooked directly by sauteing along with garlic, onion, and carrot. It also has a balanced flavor and a nice thick texture which makes it delicious and pleasant to eat.
Try this Chicken Lomi Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1/2 lb. fresh flat miki noodles
- 10 ounces boneless chicken breast sliced into thin pieces
- 1 Knorr Chicken Cube
- 1/2 medium cabbage chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 medium yellow onion cubed
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 6 to 7 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Saute garlic, onion, and carrots.
- Add the sliced chicken. Cook until the chicken turns light brown.
- Pour the water into the pot. Let boil.
- Add Knorr chicken cube. Stir. Cover the pot. Cook the chicken between low to medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add cabbage and miki noodles. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add scallions. Stir.
- Pour the egg. Continuously stir to prevent the egg from forming.
- Add 1/4 cup water to cornstarch and stir to mix. Pour it into the pot. Stir until the soup thickens.
- Add salt and ground black pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Chicken Lomi