I am so excited to share my recipe for Chicken Lumpia. This is the quickest lumpiang shanghai that I prepared and the result is amazing. I’m sure that you will love it too.
This dish can be served as an appetizer or a main dish. You can prepare this in advance and freeze it until needed.
How to Cook Chicken Lumpia
One of the reasons why I love this lumpia version is its ease in preparation. I just needed to mix the filling, wrap it, and deep fry. It also makes use of a few ingredients and it tastes wonderful. Here is how you make your own chicken lumpia at home:
Start by preparing the lumpia filling. Get a bowl large enough to fit the ingredients. Combine ground chicken, onion, carrot, egg, ground black pepper, and Knorr SavorRich Chicken Liquid Seasoning. Mix everything together.
Wrap the ground chicken mixture in lumpia wrapper. Check out the recipe below for the detailed instruction. Make sure to completely secure the wrapper so that it won’t open-up while frying. I do it by brushing some water on the tip of the wrapper and firmly pressing the tip against the roll so that it sticks.
Frying our chicken lumpia requires low heat. The meat filling needs to get cooked thoroughly while the wrapper slowly browns. Cooking in high heat will quickly brown the wrapper leaving the filling partially cooked. It will be great if you can use a kitchen thermometer to measure the temperature of oil. Using a deep fryer is also a good idea. Fry it for around 8 minutes.
Remove the crispy cooked lumpia from the pan and arrange over a wire rack or a plate with paper towel. Let the excess oil drip as it cools down.
I love to have it with sweet and sour sauce. How about you?
Try this easy chicken lumpia recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 30 pieces lumpia wrapper
- 2 cups cooking oil
- 1 ¼ lbs. ground chicken
- 2 sachet Knorr SavorRich Chicken Liquid Seasoning
- 1 piece onion minced
- ¾ cup carrot minced
- 1 piece egg
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine all the lumpia filling ingredient in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Start to wrap the lumpia. Lay a piece of lumpia wrapper on a flat surface. Scoop 1 ½ tablespoons of ground chicken mixture and place it on the lower bottom part of the wrapper, 2 inches from the tip. Spread the mixture sideways 3 ½ to 4 inches in length. Initially fold the bottom part of the wrapper until the meat mixture is covered. Fold the sides of the wrapper inward to secure the mixture. Roll from bottom to top and secure by brushing a bit of water on the tip of the wrapper. Perform this step until all the meat mixture is consumed.
- Heat oil in a pan to around 260F.
- Deep fry a batch of chicken lumpia for 8 minutes. Note: cooking in low heat over a long period of time ensures that the meat gets cooked completely while the wrapper slowly browns.
- Remove the fried chicken lumpia from the pan. Arrange over a wire rack or on a plate lined with paper towel. Let it cool down for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Chicken Lumpia