This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Chicken Pastel in a Cup is an interesting and easier way to make and present this beloved Filipino dish. It does not require any pastry dough and other fancy ingredients. This means that anyone should be able to make this at home using components that can easily be bought in your local supermarkets. This is a different version from the previous chicken pastel recipe that we featured.
The cups are made from bread slices. I used slices of loaf bread (which we call tasty bread). The dark edges of the bread were removed and each slice was flattened using a rolling pin. The bread was made to form a cup with the use of a cupcake pan. The bread was pressed against each mold and baked for a few minutes. It was quick and easy.
This might look like chicken a la king at first glance. However, it will be obvious at the end that it is not because the ingredients are totally different and the bread cup for the latter is usually pastry puff. Check this chicken a la king recipe and do some comparison.
Chicken Pastel in a Cup can be served as an appetizer. A couple of bread cups can also be considered as a meal.
Try this recipe for Chicken Pastel in a Cup. Cheers!
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast cut into cubes
- 3 beef franks or hotdog chopped
- 2 boiled eggs chopped
- 1 cup button mushroom chopped
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1 medium potato cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth or stock
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 slices of loaf bread dark edges removed
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Make the bread cups by flattening the bread slices. Do this by placing each slice on a clean flat surface. Use a rolling pin or a clean bottle to flatten the bread. Do this by rolling it over the bread slices. Arrange the flatten bread slices on a cupcake pan. Make sure to press it against the pan to form a cup shaped figure.
- Put the pan with bread slices in the oven. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove and let it cool. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a pan.
- Sauté the mushroom, chicken, and hotdogs for 5 minutes
- Add potato and carrot and pour half of the chicken broth. Let boil. Cover and cook in medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes. Add more broth if needed.
- Sprinkle the flour all over the pot a tablespoon at a time. Stir and make sure that all ingredients are well blended.
- Add the chopped boiled eggs and remaining chicken broth. Stir and cook until the desired thickness is achieved.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop the chicken pastel and put it in the bread cups. Top with grated or shredded cheese.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!