This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Crispy Baked Chicken Wings Recipe is simple and easy to make. There is nothing fancy about this dish. All I did was to add salt and garlic powder as seasonings and then cooked the wings until brown and crispy. This makes a good appetizer that can be enjoyed with your favorite dipping sauce. I like it with fresh ranch dressing.
Here is how I did it. First is to ensure that the chicken wings are cut properly. I divided a piece into three parts: the drumette (upper part), flat (middle part), and the tip (bottom part without meat). Only the drumette and flat cuts will be used for this recipe. The tip can be discarded or can be kept for future use. The tip can be used to make chicken stock, but you will need a good amount to make a decent tasting stock.
Salt and garlic powder were rubbed all over the chicken. This helps add flavor to it. I usually let the wings rest for at least 15 minutes after rubbing so that the seasoning will have enough time to penetrate the meat. Next is to pan-fry each wing to provide texture to its outer part.
This might sound unnecessary, but I add a few tablespoons of water into the pan while frying the chicken. It needs to be sealed using the pan cover to trap the steam. This process is important because it somewhat steams the fried wings. The texture of the wings after the process will be on the soft side. However, this slowly gets crispy once baked in the oven.
The good news is that you can also prepare this in advance. The pre-cooked wings (pan fried) can be kept in the freezer for a few weeks and you can bake it as you please.
Try this Crispy Baked Chicken Wings Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 2 lbs. chicken wings
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- Separate the drumette, flat, and tip by cutting using a knife. Discard the tip, or set it aside (you can use this to make chicken stock in the future).
- Rub salt, garlic powder, and ground cayenne pepper all over the chicken wings. Let it stay for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat a frying pan. Pour oil into it. Once the oil becomes hot, pan-fry the chicken wings in medium heat for 3 minutes per side.
- Pour water into the pan. Cover. Make sure that the steam gets trapped inside. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Arrange the chicken wings in a greased baking tray. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until crispy.
- Remove from the oven. Let it cool down.
- Serve with your favorite dip. Share and enjoy!