Crispy Dinakdakan is a crunchy and crispy version of my favorite Ilocano pulutan dish. It has the same good taste of dinakdakan, except that this has a more interesting texture. If you are a fan of chicharon and everything crispy, you will love this dish.
I opted to prepare this version instead of the usual because it was raining outside. Cooking traditional dinakdakan requires grilling the pig parts. It will be quite challenging for me to do that on a rainy weather.
How to Cook Crispy Dinakdakan
There a few major procedures involved in making this dish. It might sound too much work, but I assure you that the outcome is truly rewarding.
The first thing to do is to tenderize the pig parts. I am referring to the ears and belly. Do this by boiling these parts with water, whole peppercorn, garlic, and dried bay leaves. It is best to ensure that these get really tender. It usually takes me 1 hour to complete this step.
The liver does not need to much preparation. Simply rub salt all over it and then pan-fry until totally cooked.
The next procedure is to deep-fry the boiled ears and pork belly until crispy. I am using a technique called double-frying to ensure that I get the expected texture. Frying time varies between the ears and belly. See recipe below for details.
Prepare the dressing while waiting for the fried parts to cool down. Simply combine all dressing ingredients and then stir until the texture smoothens.
Chop the pork and combine with liver in a large bowl. Toss and then add onion, green onion, and chili pepper. Pour half of the dressing. Toss once more and then serve. The remaining dressing can be served as a dipping sauce.
Try this Crispy Dinakdakan Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- ¾ cup Lady's Choice Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Soy sauce
- 5 pieces Calamansi
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Tenderize the pork belly and pig ears. Do this by boiling water in a cooking pot. Add whole peppercorn, dried bay leaves, and garlic. Pig ears and pork belly into the pot. Cover and boil between low to medium heat for 45 to 60 minutes. Drain the liquid, set aside.
- Prepare the liver by rubbing with salt. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Cook the liver by pan-frying until brown. Set aside.
- Heat 3 cups cooking oil in a deep fryer or deep cooking pot. Rub salt all over the boiled pig ears and belly.
- Deep-fry the ears for 10 minutes. Remove from the fryer and let it rest for 5 minutes. Fry again for another 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Deep-fry pork belly for 8 minutes. Remove from the fryer and let it rest for 5 minutes. Deep-fry again for 5 minutes or until crispy. Set aside.
- Prepare the dressing by combining all dressing ingredients in a bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Chop the ears and belly into bite-size pieces. Place in a large bowl and then add the fried liver. Toss. Add onion, green onion, and chili pepper. Mix until well blended.
- Pour half of the dressing into the bowl. Toss.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve. Share and enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Dinakdakan