Feeling like getting festive with your meals? Crispy Lechon Belly with Bacon is a great way to go when you want something special to serve in a gathering. You can double down on the juicy, irresistible crunch of lechon belly with some crispy, delicious bacon. If you have yet to try combining these two meaty favorites, let me give you a preview of what you’re missing out on.
What does crispy lechon belly with bacon taste like?
There is an unmistaken appeal that comes with the classic Crispy Lechon Belly. So why mess with something that already works perfectly, right? But let me tell you, integrating bacon and a touch of sourness in our white vinegar is a game changer.
Once you bite into that roll of lechon belly, you also get a uniquely crispy bite of bacon strips, enriched with the flavor of spring onions and the aroma of lemongrass. You can also expect a soft, succulent texture from the meat of your lechon. But this is just a glimpse of the dish. Should you be interested in getting the full experience, the only way to get that is by recreating this Crispy Lechon Belly with Bacon recipe!
Ingredients in Crispy Lechon Belly with Bacon
You should pick out 4 lbs. of pork belly that has a white color for the fat, but also equally has flesh and fat. We also want a reddish-pink color for the meat to make sure it is fresh and of the best quality to make this crispy dish.
Knorr Liquid Seasoning
Also have some Knorr Liquid Seasoning ready to make the meat far more savory and delicious. We need 2 ½ tablespoons of this.
This is an ingredient you really can’t forget about— 8 strips of tasty bacon! When it comes to choosing this in the market, as is the case for our pork belly, it would be best to go for the types with just enough meat and fat together. You can tell by seeing a lot of long and thin white lines for each strip.
Another ingredient on the list is 1 bunch of spring onions. These are rich in nutrients like vitamin C to help out your immune system.
For a welcome element of sourness, we’re splashing in 3 tablespoons of white vinegar. This is an ingredient that will be used on the belly’s skin just to give it that beautifully distinct crunchiness on the outside. The acid found in vinegar is actually great for the crackling.
And also get 2 teaspoons of salt, which has a function similar to our previous component. This helps in the creating the perfect crackling as it also gets the moisture out of the way.
To top things off with our seasoning for the inside of the pork, we want 2 teaspoons of garlic powder.
Ground black pepper
Perfectly partnered with meat and many other viands, ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper is just enough to boost the taste of this dish.
And want a little bit of umami taste to your lechon belly? Add 1 teaspoon of onion powder to the ingredient list as well.
How to Make Crispy Lechon Belly with Bacon
1. Seasoning the interior of the pork belly
- Poking the pork’s skin – If you are unfamiliar with this step, what you essentially need to do is poke as many holes as you can onto the skin of your pork. You can use a variety of sharp kitchen objects for this, but I would suggest utilizing a meat tenderizing tool
- Combining the seasoning ingredients – It’s time to mix together the garlic powder, ground black pepper and onion powder
- Seasoning the pork belly – Before we use our powdered mixture, we must start by rubbing the inside of the pork belly with our Knorr Liquid Seasoning. Then we can use the seasoning mixture we made, and sprinkle this all over the meat part of the pork. To ensure that everything is incorporated well, we need to rub this into the meat.
2. Assembling and rolling the belly
- Adding the bacon – We will now place the bacon strips on top of the side of the belly that we’ve seasoned. And then for our next layer, we will putting our lemongrass and spring onions.
- Roll the pork – After rolling, tie this up and secure it with kitchen twine
- Putting vinegar and salt – Start brushing vinegar onto the belly’s skin, and then sprinkle salt on top.
3. Cooking the pork belly
- Placing the pork in an air fryer – If you don’t have one, a turbo broiler will also do the trick. Just cook the meat at 325 °F for a good 90 minutes.
- Continuing the broiling process – We just need to dab any excess oil from the pork’s skin. And then hike the temperature up to 400 °F so we can broil this until we achieve that perfect crunchiness we want for lechon belly.
4. Time to serve!
- Adding some dips – Just take the pork belly out of the air fryer or turbo broiler, and then put on your serving plate of choice. Don’t forget to have some delicious lechon sauce, or if you want some more sourness, spiced vinegar.
I hope you loved this Crispy Lechon Belly with Bacon as much as I did while making it! Leave a comment below with your feedback.
Crispy Lechon Belly with Bacon
- 4 lbs. pork belly
- 2 ½ tablespoons Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- 8 strips bacon
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Poke the skin of the pork. I use a meat tenderizing tool for this.
- Combine all the seasoning ingredients. Mix well. Set aside.
- Season the inside part of the pork belly with Knorr Liquid Seasoning. Spread the seasoning mixture by sprinkling over the meat part of the pork. Rub to make sure that it gets distributed evenly.
- Arrange the bacon strips over the seasoned side of the belly and top with lemongrass and spring onions. Roll the belly and secure using a kitchen twine.
- Brush vinegar all over the skin part of the belly and sprinkle salt.
- Arrange in an air fryer or turbo broiler. Cook at 325F for 90 minutes.
- Dab the oil from the skin and adjust the temperature of the broiler to 400F. Continue broiling until the skin becomes crispy.
- Serve with lechon sauce or spiced vinegar