This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Crispy Pork Binagoongan is a cross between two popular Filipino dishes: binagoongan baboy and lechon kawali. This version is interesting because you can enjoy the crispy texture of the pork while indulging the delicious binagoongan sauce. I enjoyed having it with a cup of warm white rice.
How to Cook Crispy Pork Binagoongan
Cooking this crunchy and crisp binagoongan involves two simple procedures. First, you have to cook lechon kawali using an air fryer. The second procedure is making the bagoong sauce.
Start to make crispy pork by steaming the pork belly for 35 minutes. I used a rice cooker to steam the pork. It might sound unconventional, but rice cookers usually come with a steaming rack. Simply place all the pork in the rack, and then begin steaming. Now, you can say that you made the most out of your rice cooker.
Let the pork belly cool down after steaming. Rub salt all over for flavor. Let it rest for 15 minutes before air frying.
Set your air fryer to 350F and then proceed to cook the belly. Air fry for 25 minutes. You can extend the time if needed. The outcome should be similar to a less-oily lechon kawali.
Make the bagoong sauce by sautéing garlic, onion, ginger, and tomato. Add the bagoong alamang (shrimp paste) and then cook for about a minute. Put the sliced peppers into the pot and pour vinegar. Add water and season with sugar and ground black pepper. This is a simple straightforward process. Finish your dish by topping the sauce over the crispy pork.
I suggest to serve this right away for best results. Remember to only pour the sauce over the pork when you are about to serve the dish. It will ensure the crispiness of the pork while enjoying your meal.
Try this delicious Crispy Binagoongan recipe. Happy cooking!
- Steam the pork belly for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the steamer and let it cool down. Rub salt all over the pork belly. Let it dry-up a bit by leaving in open air for at least 15 minutes.
- Arrange the pork belly in an air fryer or turbo broiler. Air-fry in 350F for 25 minutes.
- Place the crispy fried pork on a serving plate.
- Prepare the binagoongan sauce by sauteing garlic, onion, ginger, and tomato.
- Once the tomato and onion softens, add the bagoong alamang (shrimp paste). Saute for 1 minute.
- Add long green pepper and vinegar. Stir.
- Pour water water. Let boil. Season with sugar and ground black pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour binagoongan sauce over the crispy fried pork. Serve with warm rice.
Watch How to Cook Crispy Pork Binagoongan