This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Daing na Bangus refers to milkfish that is marinated in a mixture composed of vinegar, crushed peppercorn, garlic, and salt. Hot pepper such as cayenne pepper powder can be added to make it spicy. It is usually marinated overnight for best results, and then fried until crispy.
Unlike traditional daing wherein the fish is salted and then soaked under the sun for a day or two, this daing na bangus recipe in particular, do not need the heat of the sun. This makes this version more pleasurable because the meat do not get tough ( which often happens to most dried fishes).
Daing na bangus is best for breakfast and lunch. The term BangSiLog ws coined from a meal combination composed of daing na bangus, Sinangag (garlic fried rice), and fried egg. It can also be eaten simply with warm white rice.
The bangus belly (or the tiyan ng bangus) is the best and tastiest part as far as I am concerned. I liked it so much and I had a hard time resisting the call for a quick pinch. The images that I took will show. It was really good.
Try this Daing na Bangus Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 medium sized milkfish cleaned and scales removed
- 10 tablespoons white or cane vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed peppercorn
- 1 head garlic crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder optional
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- Combine vinegar, pepper, salt, garlic, and cayenne pepper powder in a bowl. Stir to mix the ingredients. Set aside.
- Butterfly the bangus (slice from the top) and the place it inside a large re-sealable plastic bag.
- Pour the vinegar mixture in the bag and then let all the air out. Seal the bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the fish from the bag and let the liquid drip.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan. Once the oil gets hot, fry the fish in medium heat until one side gets crisp. Turn it over and repeat the process on the other side.
- Remove from the pan and place in a serving plate. Serve with bowl of spicy vinegar.
- Share and enjoy!