This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Polvoron is a semi-sweet concoction made of toasted flour, powdered milk, sugar, and butter. This is considered as a dessert or snack in the Philippines wherein roasted rice puffs referred to locally as “pinipig” is added.There are several recipes for this Filipino treat that are available today. There are the cookies and cream, peanut, chocolate, and many more. The polvoron recipe that we have here is the classic and simplest.
I tend to associate this snack with town fiestas. When I was still a child, I always join contests during our town’s fiesta and one of them is some sort of a whistling contest wherein you are asked to consume a piece of polvoron or puto seco before whistling; the first one who can make a sound wins.
I haven’t made this in years since I don’t have any available mold. Good thing one of my friends was able to get me one when she went for a vacation in the Philippines. By the way, I made more or less 60 pieces of polvoron out of the ingredients that we have.
Try this polvoron recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups powdered milk
- 3/4 cup pinipig crushed
- 1 1/8 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Heat a frying pan or a wok then put-in the flour. Toast the flour until you smell the aroma and the color turns light brown. Make sure to stir while toasting to prevent the flour from being burnt.
- Once the flour is toasted, let it cool down for about 20 minutes then transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the powdered milk then stir using a balloon whisk.
- Put-in the granulated sugar then stir again.
- Add-in the crushed pinipig then stir until very ingredient is well distributed.
- Pour-in the softened butter and mix well. You may use your clean hands in doing the procedure. After mixing, let it stand for at least 10 minutes to allow the butter to cool. This will make the mixture more intact.
- Using a polvoron molder, scoop the mixture and put it on top of a pre-cut Japanese paper or cellophane then wrap.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!