Dinengdeng na Saluyot with Tinapa is a simple yet delicous dish that involves a variety of vegetables including dahon ng saluyot — which is also known as jute mallow, smoked fish, and fermented fish (bagoong monamon). This dish is also healthy and easy to prepare. It took me around 15 minutes to cook everything.
I had this for lunch along with a cup of brown rice and a glass of malunggay juice. I guess that there is no reason for me to feel guilty on my meal, for a change. Sure, I can be a carnivore on a certain occasions, but I had to change my ways now that I am getting older. I think that being an omnivore is not a bad idea. Little steps will take me there.
The easiest way to cook dinengdeng is to put all the ingredients together in one pot and cook everything at the same time. That works for me, but I always want my veggies to have nice texture. This is the reason why I added the the veggies that take longer to cook first, and then placed the green leafy ones (like the saluyot) into the pot after a couple of minutes. This makes my Dinengdeng na Saluyot with Tinapa look fresh while having the same good taste.
Dinengdeng na Saluyot with Tinapa goes well with bagoong monamon. I also tried this using bagoong balayan and guinamos with good results.
Try this Dinengdeng na Saluyot with Tinapa Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Dinengdeng na Saluyot with Tinapa
- 3 pieces smoked galunggong tinapa
- 8 pieces okra
- 3 medium ripe tomato
- 2 cups Saluyot leaves
- 1 medium ampalaya bitter melon, cored and sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion wedged
- 12 pieces snake beans sitaw, cut in 2 inch length pieces
- 1/4 cup bagoong monamon fermented fish
- 3 cups water
- Pour water into a cooking pot. Add tomato and onion. Apply heat to the pot and let boil. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add sitaw, okra, ampalaya. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add Saluyot leaves, tinapang galunggong (smoked fish), and bagoong monamon. Cover the cooking pot and continue to cook in medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with warm rice.
- Share and enjoy!