Dynamite Lumpia is a version of the popular Filipino deep-fried egg rolls. This version is unique because it involves the use of stuffed long green chili. The idea is somewhat similar to chile relleno, except that the stuffed chili peppers are wrapped in lumpia wrapper and deep fried until golden brown and crispy.
I like to have my dynamite lumpia as an appetizer. This goes well with cold beverages. It can also be consumed as a main dish similar to other lumpia varieties. However, expect to consume more rice to balance the spiciness.
How to Cook Dynamite Lumpia
Cooking dynamite lumpia is easy and straightforward. You just need to prepare each component sequentially for best results.
The first component to prepare is the meat filling. This requires cooking the ground pork. Start by heating oil in a pan. Saute garlic and onion. I like the garlic to brown a bit. This is the reason why I cook it first before adding-in the onion. Continue to saute until the onion softens. This will provide a mild sweet flavor to the filling.
Add the ground pork. The meat needs to cook thoroughly. Continue to saute while stirring until the pork turns medium brown. It takes around 5 to 7 minutes when cooked in medium heat. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
Remove the cooked ground pork from the pan and put it in a bowl or plate. Let it cool down for 5 to 8 minutes. Beat a piece of egg and pour over the cooked pork and mix well. The egg serves as the binder. It helps keep the mixture intact.
Next is to prepare the chili. Slice it lengthwise on one side. Remove the seeds and then start to stuff with cheese. The cheese needs to be sliced accordingly based on the shape of the pepper. Do not put too much cheese. Leave some room for the meat.
Stuff the chilies with the cooked meat mixture. Make sure to add enough meat, but not too much. It should look like chile relleno at this point.
Wrap each stuffed chili in lumpia wrapper. Deep fry until golden brown and crispy. You don’t need to worry about the doneness of the stuffing because the meat was already pre-cooked. The cheese inside will melt as you fry the dynamite lumpia. You should expect a spicy lumpia with a crisp skin and tasty and rich filling.
Try this Dynamite Lumpia Recipe. Let me Know what you think.
- 8 pieces long green pepper
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese
- 8 pieces lumpia wrapper
- 2 cups cooking oil
- Prepare the ground pork stuffing by heating 3 tablespoons oil in a pan. Saute garlic and onion until the latter softens. Add ground pork. Saute until medium brown. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Remove from the pan and put on a large bowl. Let it cool down. Beat 1 piece of egg and pour into the cooked ground pork. Mix well. Set aside.
- Slice one side of the peppers lengthwise all the way to the bottom. Remove the seeds by gently scraping using a small spoon or a butter knife. Set aside.
- Slice the cheddar cheese into long pieces. Stuff individual slices of cheese into each pepper. Sccop the cooked meat mixture and stuff into the chili peppers. Make sure that there is enough meat.
- Wrap the stuffed peppers in lumpia wrapper.
- Heat 2 cups of oil in a pan. Fry each piece of dynamite lumpia in medium heat for 2 minutes per side or until lumpia wrapper turns golden brown. Note: you may fry longer if needed.
- Remove from pan and place over a wire rack. Let it cool down. Arrange in a serving plate and then serve with your favorite condiment.
- Share and enjoy!