This recipe post for Easy Pinoy Spaghetti shows a simpler way on how to cook Filipino style spaghetti from scratch using basic ingredients. It is tailored for beginners and intermediate cooks. The meat sauce in this recipe is made of regular tomato sauce along with other ingredients.
I personally adore the meat sauce in this version because it tastes just right. It is not too sweet or too sour. The dish tastes even better when more cheese is added in my opinion.
How to Cook Pinoy Style Spaghetti
There are two main processes in making spaghetti. First is to cook the spaghetti, and the second is to make the meat sauce. It is fortunate that both of these are easy to do. Here’s how to do it for this recipe.
Cooking spaghetti is easy and straightforward. Simply boil water in a cooking pot, add some salt, and put the spaghetti. The time of cooking depends on how you like your pasta done.
How long to Cook Spaghetti
A general rule of thumb is to cook spaghetti between 8 to 10 minutes. Not all spaghetti have the same cooking time. It is still best to refer to the instructions written on the package for best results.
How to Cook Spaghetti Sauce from Scratch
It starts with the meat. Use ground pork for Pinoy spaghetti. Heat a small amount of oil in a pot. Sear the ground pork until it browns. Make sure to stir and separate the ground meat from each other while cooking. Do this by gently pushing the tip of the spatula towards the ground meat. Repeat the step multiple times until the meat scatters on the pot. Add onion and garlic powder. Pour tomato sauce and water. I also add pork cube to make my meat sauce taste better. This cooks for around 30 minutes. The sauce can be thickened by adding tomato paste. This is an optional ingredient. Finally, season with sugar, salt, and ground black pepper.
Tips and Tricks
What to do when spaghetti sticks together
The spaghetti has a tendency to stick together after cooking. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil over the spaghetti and toss until the oil is evenly distributed.
When is spaghetti sauce too sweet?
It is relative. This depend our own perception. Filipino style spaghetti sauce is sweet. It might be too sweet for others who are not accustomed to it. The spaghetti sauce in this recipe is not too sweet, in my opinion. It is just right based on my preference.
When to add spaghetti sauce?
The sauce can be topped over the spaghetti before serving. Shredded cheddar cheese can also be added afterwards. Another way of doing it is to cook a serving of spaghetti and sauce together on a pan before serving. Heat the meat sauce on a pan and add spaghetti. Toss. Note that the sauce and spaghetti are completely cooked to begin with. Sometimes it is a good idea to scoop a few tablespoons of starchy water and pour it on the pan while cooking the pasta. I am referring to the water initially used to boil the spaghetti.
Try this Easy Pinoy Spaghetti Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Easy Pinoy Spaghetti Recipe
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- 1 piece Knorr Pork Cube
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 3 pieces hotdog sliced
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 29 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste optional
- 1 piece onion minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Prepare spaghetti by boiling water in a cooking pot. Add a pinch of salt. Put the spaghetti into the pot and cook for 9 minutes or until al dente. Set aside. Note: follow the package instructions on how to cook spaghetti for best results.
- Prepare the meat sauce by heating a cooking pot. Add ground pork. Sear until light brown.
- Add onion and garlic powder. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour tomato sauce. Let boil.
- Add Knorr Pork Cube. Stir. Add hotdogs. Cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes. Note: add water as necessary.
- Add tomato paste. Stir. Continue to cook for 5 minutes or until desired thickness is achieved.
- Season the sauce with sugar, salt, and ground black pepper. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Arrange the spaghetti on a plate, top with meat sauce, and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
How to Cook Easy Pinoy Spaghetti Video