This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Turkey Embutido is a good alternative to traditional embutido recipes because of its low fat and low cholesterol content. There is no doubt that traditional embutido tastes really great. However, some of us who are trying to eat low fat and low cholesterol foods might have hesitations.
While trying to come-up with alternatives to our favorite Filipino recipes, I thought of making myself some turkey embutido so that I can enjoy my favorite Filipino food while I am trying to limit my fat and cholesterol content. The outcome was really amazing! If you will notice, I added a couple tablespoons of olive oil in the recipe because turkey lacks fat – I needed to add olive oil to improve the texture of our turkey embutido.
There are several ways to enjoy turkey embutido, I opted to eat it as it is after steaming. I also find it good to eat with soda crackers. I love to hear from you. What is the best way to eat embutido, in your opinion?
- 3 lbs. ground turkey
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 large carrots finely minced
- 1 large onion finely minced minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups regular or Italian bread crumbs
- 8 to 10 cups water.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey, onion, carrots, raisins, sweet pickle relish, olive oil, tomato sauce, and eggs. Mix well using a spatula or a stand mixer.
- Add the cheese, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and bread crumbs. continue to mix until all the ingredients are evenly dispersed.
- Cut the aluminum foil into 12" x 12" individual pieces. This recipe can use between 5 to 7 pieces of aluminum foil.
- Scoop around 1 1/2 to 2 cups of mixture into one end of the aluminum foil and mold the mixture to shape like a long cylinder. Secure the mixture by folding-in the opposite the sides of the aluminum foil and roll foil to the opposite side. Do this step until you finish wrapping all the mixture.
- Meanwhile, boil the water in a steamer.Once the water starts to boil, arrange the wrapped turkey embutido in the steamer. cover and steam for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove the steamed embutido from the steamer and let the it cool down. Once the embutido reaches room temperature, you can do either the following: refrigerate for at least 3 hours and serve cold; or slice and pan fry for a few minutes.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!