Chicken Macaroni Sopas is a rich chicken noodle soup dish that I really enjoy having during cold weather, or even on an ordinary day — usually in the mid afternoon. I have had chicken macaroni sopas ever since I was a kid. This soup has been my favorite; I remember having this every afternoon as some sort of snack.
I used to have chicken macaroni sopas with chicken liver in it. If you have not tried this soup dish yet, it might sound different. However, that version is the real deal. Chicken liver improves the taste of chicken macaroni sopas; it makes this soup dish more appetizing and enjoyable.
This chicken macaroni sopas recipe does not use chicken liver — rather chopped ham is added enhance the flavor. This chicken sopas version is simple, rich, and very tasty. I’m sure that you will love it.
Try this Filipino Chicken Macaroni Sopas recipe. Enjoy!
Filipino Chicken Macaroni Sopas
- 1 lb. chicken skin removed
- 2 ounces ham chopped
- 1/2 lb elbow macaroni
- 4 stalks celery minced
- 1 medium yellow onion minced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 ½ cups chopped cabbage optional
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 6 to 8 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup fresh milk or 1 14 oz. can evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the chicken. Boil the chicken in low to medium heat for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Remove the chicken and let cool. Set-aside the water used to boil the chicken. We'll use this later.
- Once the chicken reaches room temperature, shred the meat using your hands. Discard (throw away) the bones.
- Meanwhile, heat a clean large cooking pot.
- Pour-in the butter and oil. Once the butter and oil becomes hot, sauté the onion, carrot, and celery for 3 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and chopped ham. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour-in the chicken broth and the remaining water used to boil the chicken. Stir and let boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the elbow macaroni. Cook for 15 minutes. Add more water if needed.
- Pour-in the milk. Stir and let boil.
- Add salt and pepper to adjust the taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!