Filipino Pork Chop Steak is my pork chop version of bistek. This easy pork chop recipe has the wonderful taste of bistek tagalog — less the beef, and it is simple to the point that a person new to cooking can follow the recipe with ease.
I am using thick sliced pork chops for this recipe. I have no control on the slices because I purchased the meat this way. On the brighter side, having thick pork chops for Filipino Pork Chop Steak will give you a juicer meat, and I think that it is something that I can live by. Another thing about pork chops here in the US is that most meat shops or grocery stores remove the fat and skin. I have to go to a Hispanic meat shop or to a Filipino meat shop in order to grab a cut with fat and skin intact. For health reasons,I prefer pork chops without fat — but I think that the one’s with fat on are more enjoyable. What is your preference?
One thing that you need to do in order to have a successful Filipino Pork Chop Steak is to monitor the texture of the meat. Make sure not to over fry the meat during the first step and you will also need to ensure that the meat is tender enough before the onions are added. As for the soy sauce and seasonings, the measurements that I provided in the recipe below are just my recommendation for a light tasting pork chop steak sauce; you can add more soy sauce if you want.
Try this Filipino Pork Chop Steak Recipe. Let me know how it went.
Filipino Pork Chop Steak Recipe
- 2 lbs. pork chops
- 5 to 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 large red onion peeled and sliced crosswise
- juice from 3 limes or 4 large calamansi
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Pan-fry both sides of the pork chop for 3 to 4 minutes or until medium brown.
- Pour-in soy sauce and lime (or calamansi) juice.
- Add water and sugar. Let boil. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until the pork becomes tender. Note: add more water if needed.
- Put-in the onions, salt (only if needed), and pepper. Cook for 8 more minute. Note: The dish should have some sauce in it when its done. Adding enough water in the middle of the process will help as long as you make sure that you control the amount.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with rice.
- Share and enjoy!