Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad is a popular version of mac salad in the Philippines. It is composed of sweetened fruits, condensed milk, and mayonnaise. Cheese is an unconventional ingredient added into the mix.
Some people associate this salad with the Christmas season. There were comments on the photo that I posted in my Instagram account (@panlasangpinoy) saying that they only have this during Christmas. Truly our long awaited holiday is just around the corner.
Sweet Macaroni Salad is more famous in the provinces. This is a favorite dessert during town fiestas. Each region has their local versions of this salad. Wouldn’t it be great to go around the country to sample it, along with other authentic regional dishes? I plan to do this in the future while filming it. I’m so excited!
How do you make Sweet Macaroni Salad in your province? I am eager to know.
How to Make Sweet Macaroni Salad
Making Sweet Macaroni Salad is quick and easy. I think that the focus should be more on the ingredients rather than the procedure. Sometimes the components for this salad can be overwhelming.
Start by cooking the elbow macaroni. Follow the package instructions for best results. I also added the steps in the recipe below. We want firm macaroni for this dish. Boil it for 7 minutes in order to achieve this texture. Discard the water afterwards. You can also rinse the pasta with cold water.
The next step is to mix all the ingredients together. That’s it! I told you its simple. Arrange the macaroni in a large mixing bowl that is enough to fit all the ingredients. Add the fruits, raisins, and cheese. Distribute these by folding. Add sweetened condensed milk and mayonnaise. Continue to fold until all the ingredients are well blended. You just made yourself a yummy Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad, my friend.
It is recommended to chill the salad before serving. Keep it in the fridge for at least 2 hours. It is also a good idea to make it a day before and chill it overnight.
Try this Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad
- 3/4 lb. elbow macaroni
- 1 pack Lady's Choice Mayonnaise 220 ml
- 1 can fruit cocktail 15 oz.
- 12 oz. pineapple chunks
- 1 can condensed milk 14 oz.
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup kaong
- 3/4 cup nata de coco
- 6 oz. cheddar cheese cubed
- 2 quarts water
- Cook the macaroni by boiling water in a pot. Add the macaroni. Stir and cook for 7 minutes. Drain the water and arrange macaroni in a large bowl.
- Add fruit cocktail, pineapple, kaong, nata de coco, cheese, and raisins. Gently mix all the ingredients.
- Pour condensed milk and then add Lady's Choice Mayonnaisse. Fold until all ingredients are well blended.Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from the fridge and serve. Share and enjoy!