Ginataang Bitsuelas is a Filipino vegetable dish wherein green beans are cooked in coconut milk. I also add a bit of pork into the recipe to provide protein. This dish can be prepared quickly for lunch. It is best enjoyed with warm white rice.
How to Cook Ginataang Bitsuelas
This is a simple dish that is quick to prepare. Start by sautéing onion, garlic, and ginger. Do this by heating oil in a pan. Add the onion first followed by the garlic and ginger. Cook until the onion gets soft.
I am using thin slices of pork in this recipe. I should emphasize that slicing the pork as thin as possible is the way to go. It cooks the pork quicker and gets tender in no time. Add the pork slices and continue to cook until the color turns light brown.
Coconut milk is an amazing ingredient to use with proteins and vegetables. Pour around 2 cups of coconut milk into the pan and then add chili peppers. Let It boil and cook covered for 15 minutes.
The main flavor of this dish is derived from shrimp paste. It is a type of fermented krill and is widely used in Philippine cuisine. Add the bagoong alamang or shrimp paste and cook for 3 minutes.
The vegetables go last. I first add the beans and then the spinach. Make sure to cook the sliced beans for at least 3 minutes before putting the spinach in the pan.
Season with ground black pepper. Salt can be added if needed.
Another good recipe that makes use of coconut milk and fish is called fried tilapia in coconut milk. Check it out.
Try this Ginataang Bitsuelas Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Saute onion, garlic, and ginger.
- Add pork once the onion softens. Cook until the color of the pork turns brown.
- Pour coconut milk into the pot. Let boil.
- Add chili pepper. Stir. Cover the pot and cook between low to medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp paste (bagoong alamang). Stir and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Put the sliced long green beans in the pot. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add spinach. Cook for 1 minute.
- Season with ground black pepper. Note: you can add salt if needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve. Share and enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Ginataang Bitsuelas