Ginataang Hipon na may Sitaw at Kalabasa is Filipino dish composed of shrimp, calabaza squash (locally known as kalabasa), and snake beans or sitaw. These ingredients are cooked in coconut milk. This recipe also utilizes coconut cream, in addition to coconut milk. I received requests from many of our followers about developing a similar recipe that do not require the use of oil. Consider this recipe post as my reply. We will not be using any form of oil in this recipe. However, coconut milk and cream can produce coconut oil when cooked in longer periods.
I started by combining coconut cream, onion, garlic, and ginger in a cooking pot. No heat was applied initially. The fire from the stovetop was activated only after all the ingredients mentioned were combined. You will need to cook this for around 15 minutes in medium heat so that the flavors from the ingredients gets extracted. These ingredients were called aromatics for a reason.
The next thing that I did was to cook the kalabasa. I did this first because it can take a while to make this soft, compared to the other remaining ingredients. I also utilized a piece of Knorr Shrimp Cube to give this dish a shrimpy flavor. It was a good choice on my end.
The shrimp was added in the middle of the process along with the coconut cream. I placed the snake beans right before adding the seasonings. Speaking of seasoning, I simply used patis for this recipe. However, people who don’t like patis can use alamang. This can be in a form of fresh alamang, salted alamang, or bagoong.
The last thing that you need to do — or should I say the first thing that you need to ensure is to have enough rice for everyone. Happy cooking!
Try this Ginataang Hipon na may Sitaw at Kalabasa Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Ginataang Hipon na may Sitaw at Kalabasa
- 1 lb. Shrimp washed and deveined
- 1 Knorr Shrimp Cube
- 2 cups cubed kalabasa squash
- 15 pieces snake beans cut into 2 inch pieces
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 3 pieces long green chili pepper optional
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 thumbs ginger cut into strips
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine coconut milk, garlic, onion, and ginger in a cooking pot. Apply heat. Let boil.
- Add Knorr Shrimp Cube. Stir. Cover and cook in medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add kalabasa and long green pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp. Pour coconut cream into the pot. Stir and let it boil.
- Add snake beans (sitaw). Stir. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour fish sauce into the pot and season with ground black pepper. Stir. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve. Share and enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook