Ginataang Pusit or Squid cooked in coconut milk is a quick, easy, and delicious Filipino dish that I love to eat with warm rice. As I’ve d mentioned, this is quick and easy because it takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and the steps are simple and straightforward. Many people like this dish spicy (that includes myself); this is the reason why I have 4 pieces of Serrano peppers in the recipe. You can use Jalapeno pepper to make it spicier or you can also opt to not use any pepper or chili if you cannot handle the heat.
Small to medium sized squids are perfect for this recipe. Make sure that you wash the squid thoroughly and remove the ink sac so that the dish won’t turn black. If you insist to use large squid, try to slice it into pieces and cook it a bit longer.
Aside from fish sauce (patis), you can also use bagoong alamang for this recipe. I also like to use malunggay whether fresh or fresh frozen, but I understand that malunggay might not be available to everyone. If that is the case, you can use fresh spinach a substitute for malunggay.
On the side note, if you want the adobo version of squid then click this link for our adobo pusit recipe.
Try this Ginataang Pusit Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Ginataang Pusit Recipe (squid in coconut milk)
- 1 1/2 lbs small to medium squid cleaned
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups malunggay leaves
- 4 pieces long green chili pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat the cooking oil in a cooking pan.
- Saute the garlic and onion until the onion becomes soft.
- Put-in the squid. Cook for 1 minute. Remove the squid, place in a clean plate, and set aside.
- Pour-in the coconut milk. Let boil.
- Add the fish sauce and green chili pepper. Simmer uncovered for 12 to 18 minutes or until the coconut milk becomes thick.
- Put the squid back in the pan. Add the malunggay leaves. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the ground black pepper. Stir.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve with rice. Share and enjoy!