Ginisang Ampalaya with Shrimp (or sautéed bitter gourd) is a simple yet nutritious dish that you can prepare for lunch. This recipe involves bitter gourd (also called bitter melon), which is a type of vegetable that is known to have a lot of nutritional value. It also makes use of shrimp.
Bitter gourds are really bitter. I am sure that there is a reason why this vegetable was named that way. However, it is packed with nutrients and it is said that this vegetable can help cleanse the blood. To me, eating bitter gourd was an acquired taste. I needed to force myself to finish a serving during my younger years, and then I immediately got used to it. However, I still think that some varieties are really bitter for me — so I rub some salt to get the bitter taste out before cooking.
Ginisang Ampalaya with Shrimp is best served with warm white rice. This dish can be enhanced by adding fish sauce (and spicy chili) while eating.
Try this Ginisang Ampalaya with Shrimp (Sauteed Bitter Gourd). Let me know what you think.
Ginisang Ampalaya with Shrimp (Sauteed Bitter Gourd)
- 1 piece ampalaya bitter gourd, cut in half lengthwise, cored, and sliced into thin pieces
- 8 to 10 pieces shrimp
- 2 pieces eggs beaten
- 1 piece tomato cut into cubes
- 1 piece onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine ampalaya and 1 tablespoon salt. Mix well. Let it stay for 15 minutes. Rinse with water.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan.
- Once the oil gets hot, add the garlic. Saute until the color turns light brown.
- Add the onion and tomato. Sauce until the texture turns soft.
- Add the shrimp. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir-in the ampalaya. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Make extra room in the pan by pushing the mixture on the side. Pour the beaten eggs in the pan. Continue to cook the eggs while trying to stir around.
- Mix the cooked egg with the rest of the ingredients. Cook for a minute.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!