Sauteed Bottle Gourd with Ground Pork and Shrimp (or Ginisang Upo na may giniling na baboy at hipon) is a simple dish that can be prepared on an ordinary day. The name of the dish gives you an idea on what it is composed of. While having bottle gourd alone can be enough, I added ground pork and shrimp because I think that these can help enhance the dish better — it did.
There are a few pointers that I want to share with you when buying the ingredients. Make sure to get the freshest bottle gourd. You will know that you got a fresh piece after examining the center once you slice it. It should be clean without any spots. The center part has a tendency to turn brownish to blackish if it has been sitting out for a while.
Fresh shrimp are the best. Make sure to devein and remove the head and shell. I used pre-cooked frozen shrimp for this recipe because I can’t seem to get access to fresh shrimp at this time. Ground pork is recommended because it gives a nice flavor to the dish that compliments with the other ingredients. However, you can also use ground chicken or turkey if you are looking for a healthier alternative. In addition, you can also add greens such as spinach if desired.
Enjoy this dish with a cup of either white or brown rice.
Try this Sauteed Bottle Gourd with Ground Pork and Shrimp Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Sauteed Bottle Gourd with Ground Pork and Shrimp
- 1 small bottle gourd upo, peeled and sliced
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 12 to 15 pieces shrimp shell and head removed
- 1 medium ripe tomato cubed
- 1 medium onion cubed
- 5 cloves crushed garlic
- 3/4 cup beef broth or chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Saute garlic, onion, and tomato.
- Once the texture of the tomato and onion becomes soft, add the ground pork. Cook until light brown.
- Add the sliced bottle gourd. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes while stirring.
- Pour the beef broth into the pan (you can also use chicken broth or just water). Let the liquid boil. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!