Ginisang Repolyo with Chicken is a simple yet delicious dish that is quick and easy to make. It is healthy and has low fat content. I like the idea of having a simple and delicious meal while being able to stick on the budget. That is the reason why this dish is a regular on our menu.
I usually make this dish for our family dinner on a busy day. It is always good to prepare something quick and healthy for the family to partake-on. While this is perfect with rice, I sometimes serve the entire meal with fried fish on the side. It makes the dinner experience more enjoyable.
How to Cook Ginisang Repolyo with Chicken
This is a quick and easy recipe. I recommend this to beginners and busy people who are trying to make a quick meal for dinner.
Make sure that all ingredients are ready before starting to cook. The chicken breast should be sliced as thin as you can so that it cooks quickly. It will also be great if all veggies are prepared and ready to be cooked.
Start by sautéing onion and garlic. This is done the usual Filipino ginisa way. Cooking oil is heated. The onion and garlic are added and cooked until the onion softens and the garlic browns.
The chicken slices are added next and sauteed until it turns light brown. I also pour around a cup of water afterwards and let it boil. It will be ideal to somewhat boil the chicken to ensure that it is completely cooked and tender before adding the vegetables. I also add a piece of Knorr Chicken Cube to make my dish taste better. This works well all the time.
Bone-in chicken can also be used to cook this dish. If going to this route, I suggest to first boil the chicken (with bone) separately. Separate the meat from the bone once it cools down, and then shred the meat. Save the water that was used to boil the chicken. This will become chicken stock. It is a more flavorful substitute to water that can be added to the dish later-on.
Add the oyster sauce once the liquid reduces to half. Continue to cook until the liquid evaporates. The cabbage should be added next. I also add half a cup of water and let the cabbage cook in the covered pot for 5 minutes. Add bell peppers and continue to cook for not more than 2 minutes if you want them crisp. Otherwise, you can cook the bell peppers longer. Season with salt and pepper.
Cabbage is always available almost anywhere in the world. However, you can use other vegetables as a substitute. Pechay or bok-choy is a good substitute. Napa cabbage, which is also known as Pechay Baguio can also be used.
Chicken is a good protein to add to this dish. You may also use pork and tofu. If using tofu, it will be better to fry it first before putting it into the dish.
Fish sauce (patis) is a good alternative to salt. Adding chopped parsley is a good idea too. It helps makes the dish taste great.
Try this Ginisang Repolyo with Chicken Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Ginisang Repolyo with Chicken
- ½ head cabbage chopped
- 4 ounces boneless chicken breast sliced thinly
- 1 piece Knorr Chicken Cube
- 1 small red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 small green bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 ½ tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 piece onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Saute onion and garlic. Once the onion gets soft, add chicken. Cook until color turns light brown.
- Pour ¾ cups water. Let boil.
- Add Knorr Chicken Cube. Cover the pot and continue to cook until the water evaporates.
- Put the oyster sauce and cabbage into the cooking pot. Stir. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add ½ cup water. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Put the bell peppers into the pot. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Ginisang Repolyo with Chicken