Teriyaki Chicken or Chicken Teriyaki is a well known Japanese Chicken dish that is also a lunch staple in Japan. This dish has become very famous as evidenced by the different varieties of Chicken Teriyaki Recipe each having its own something that makes the dish special.
Although this is a foreign dish, Filipinos learned to love and enjoy eating the outcome of this chicken teriyaki recipe. Currently, there are several restaurants in the Philippines serving their own versions of chicken teriyaki. I have tried some of these varieties and liked them.
I am a fan of this Chicken Teriyaki Recipe because of its good taste and easy preparation. Although some ingredients may not be readily available, I make sure that I always have them (sake, mirin etc.) in the pantry in case the need arises. Afterall, we can always use other ingredients if needed.
This Chicken Teriyaki Recipe is the grilled version of Teriyaki Chicken. I find it that a little smoky flavor helps make this dish taste better.
Try this Chicken Teriyaki Recipe and let me know what you think.
Sake is a Japanese wine made from fermented rice.
Mirin is a sweet Japanese rice wine intended for cooking.
Chicken Teriyaki Recipe
- 1 lb chicken chopped into serving pieces
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon sesame seeds toasted (optional)
- Combine sake, mirin, soy sauce, and brown sugar in a bowl or freezer bag then mix well.
- Add the chicken and marinade for at least 1 hour.
- Grill the chicken until both sides are cooked. Since the chicken is marinated with sugar, try to use low heat if possible to cook the meat without easily burning the skin. Set aside.
- Heat a small saucepan and pour-in the remaining marinade. Add proportional amounts of soy sauce and sugar plus a little water if necessary. Let boil.
- Simmer until the sauce thickens. Turn-off heat.
- Place the chicken in a serving plate then top with Teriyaki Sauce. Garnish with sesame seeds, if desired.
- Serve hot with steamed rice. Share and Enjoy!