How to Cook Lumpia
Do you know how to cook lumpia? If not, this basic recipe for lumpia will tell you how easily it can be done even if you do not have any experience yet in preparing this yummy Filipino dish. The recipe below tells you the basic ingredients for lumpia. For best results, make sure that you…
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Do you know how to cook lumpia? If not, this basic recipe for lumpia will tell you how easily it can be done even if you do not have any experience yet in preparing this yummy Filipino dish. The recipe below tells you the basic ingredients for lumpia. For best results, make sure that you have everything in your list ready and follow the instructions as they are written. If you have questions, give me a buzz by commenting below.
Tips on how to cook lumpia
Please let me re-iterate that this is a basic recipe. The ingredients that I am suggesting is good enough for you to make a basic fried lumpia, but it can still be improved by adding other ingredients. See our Lumpiang Shanghai recipe for details. On another note, it might be helpful for you to know that I got good results when using the TYJ wrapper and the Simex brand wrapper. If you are in the Philippines, the regular lumpia wrapper sold in local supermarkets and wet markets should be good enough. If you are regularly making lumpia and have other recommendations that will help our readers, please feel free to comment below. I encourage discussion and exchange of ideas. Thanks in advance.
Once your lumpia is ready, I suggest serving this with either banana ketchup or sweet and sour sauce. This is good with rice, but I like it best when eaten with pancit bihon. How about you, what is the best dish or side dish for lumpia?
Try this basic lumpia recipe and let me know what you think.
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag us on Instagram at @panlasangpinoy or hashtag #panlasangpinoy so we can see your creations!
How to Cook Lumpia
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 small carrot minced
- 1 medium sweet onion yellow, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 piece egg
- 20 to 25 pieces medium lumpia wrapper
- 1 ½ cups cooking oil
- Combine ground pork, salt, pepper, garlic powder, minced onion, cracked egg, and minced carrot in a bowl. Mix well using your hands. Make sure to wash before doing this step, or wear gloves that are latex free and BPA free.
- Lay a piece of lumpia wrapper flat on a plate. Adjust the orientation of the wrapper by rotating the plate so that one side points upward while the rest of the sides are pointing down, left, and right -- just like a diamond. Scoop 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons of meat mixture and place it at one the left side of the wrapper. Shape the meat unto a cylinder. Fold the pointed side of the wrapper towards the pork mixture and then roll inwards by 1 to 2 inches. Fold the top and bottom ends inwardand then continue to roll the wrapper until the mixture is completely wrapped. Seal by rubbing water using your fingers on the right end of the wrapper and press it gently against the rolled lumpia. Perform this step with the remaining ingredients.
- Heat the oil in a small pot.
- Deep fry the lumpia in batches of 4 to 6 pieces in medium heat for 10 minutes or until the wrapper turns light to golden brown.
- Remove the fried lumpia from the pot. Let the oil drip.
- Serve with banana ketchup or sweet and sour sauce.
- Share and enjoy!
Leave a Comment