This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Slow cooked meat is tender and more flavorful. This is because cooking on low heat for a long period of time breaks down and melts collagen in the meat. This helps bring out the flavor and makes the meat extra tender. Slow Cook Pork Afritada is no exception.
Slow Cook Pork Afritada is very easy to prepare. Simply sear the pork for a few minutes before adding it in the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients. Slow cook for 4 hours if in high mode or 8 hours if in low mode.
Searing the pork beforehand will give it a nice caramelized crust. You can skip this step by just adding the raw pork in the slow cooker, but there is a noticeable difference in terms of texture and taste. A few minutes of searing is worth it.
Aside from pork, this recipe can also be used for beef and chicken. The end result is a flavorful afritada dish that you can enjoy anytime. Have it with rice for lunch or soda crackers for dinner. The leftover can be refrigerated and eaten for breakfast the next morning with a slices of tasty bread.
By the way, you can add a small can of liver spread if you want to make this dish be even more tasty. It will be like pork kaldereta then.
Try this Slow Cook Pork Afritada. Let me know what you think.
- 2 lbs. pork shoulder sliced into cubes
- 1 medium red bell pepper cut into squares
- 1 can 14.5 oz. diced tomato
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium yellow onion minced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 pieces dried bay leaves
- 1 beef cube
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large baking potato cubed
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil.
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Once the oil gets hot, sear the pork for 2 to 4 minutes until brown.
- Arrange the seared pork in a slow cooker and add all the ingredients except for the salt and pepper in a slow cooker. Cover and slow cook in high mode for 4 hours (if you have time, set it to low and slow cook for 8 hours).
- Remove the cover. Gently stir the mixture and add salt and ground black pepper as necessary.
- Serve with warm rice. Share and enjoy!