This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This next potato recipe, Crispy Homemade French Fries, is number 2 on the list of the potato recipes that I plan to do with the 10 lb of Idaho potatoes that I got a few days ago. I like French fries but I prefer them crunchy.
I tried making homemade French fries from scratch before but it doesn’t give me the crunchiness that I am looking for. There are also other recipes that make use of cornstarch to help make the fries crispy – but I’m all good with the natural potato starch in the potatoes that I’ll be frying. Good thing that someone shared to me her secret on how to make crispy homemade French fries a few years back and I’ve been following that style ever since.
The technique is called “double frying”; sliced potatoes need to be fried until the texture becomes a little crispy then re-fried until it becomes crispier.
Try this Crispy Homemade French Fries Recipe for yourself and let me know what you think.
- 7 pieces baking potatoes
- A dash of salt
- 4 cups cooking oil
- Peel the potatoes. Use a vegetable peeler to save time.
- Slice the potatoes into long thin pieces.
- Soak the potatoes in ice water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and dry the potatoes using a paper towel.
- Deep fry the potatoes for 10 minutes or until the color turns light brown. Do not put too many potatoes in a batch as it will take more time for it to be cooked.
- Remove the potatoes from the deep fryer or cooking pot and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Put the fried potatoes back in the fryer and fry for another 3 minutes.
- Remove the fried potatoes and transfer to a plate with paper towels. Sprinkle some salt to taste.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!