This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Kimchi is a type of Korean side dish. This is made from different vegetables. The main ingredient is Napa cabbage or Chinese Cabbage. This type of cabbage is known in the Philippines as Pechay Baguio. It is named after the the city where it is abundantly grown. This cabbage variety is also known as Baechu in Korea and Hakusai in Japan.
The cabbage is chopped, salted and soaked in water for a couple days. The combination of salt and water makes it a simple brine solution. The brine is drained and the cabbage is then mixed with other vegetables, spices, and seasoning before sealing in a container to ferment.
This kimchi recipe makes use of ginger, garlic, scallions (or green onions), and Daikon radish aside from cabbage. Each of these vegetables help provide flavors to this delightful side dish.
The spices and seasoning, on the other hand, is composed of Korean chili flake powder, fish sauce (patis), shrimp paste (bagoong alamang), and sugar. The chili powder provides spice to this side dish and gives it its reddish color. The rest contributes to the overall flavor of the dish.
Preparing your homemade kimchi is fairly easy. You only need to combine and mix all the ingredients together once the brine is wahed off the cabbage. However, it takes some time to complete the entire process. Brining (soaking cabbage in water with salt) takes 2 days, while fermenting takes another 2 to 3 days. Although there is a bit of time involved, I can assure you that the wait is worth your while.
Kimchi is said to have lots of health benefits. Aside from being a probiotic, it also helps reduce cholesterol and is regarded to promote brain health and the immune system. This is only the tip of the iceberg because there is more in the list.
Before you proceed to the recipe, make sure that you have a large mason jar with cover or a custom kimchi container. You will need this to store the kimchi. I purchased mine online and it worked as expected.
Enjoy your Homemade Kimchi. If you decide later to make something using it as an ingredient, I suggest doing Kimchi Fried Rice. It is delicious and easy to make.
Try this Homemade Kimchi Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 2 lbs. Napa cabbage
- 7 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 6 to 8 pints of cold water
- 1 medium Daikon radish julienne
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 bunch scallions cut into 1 inch length pieces (discard lower end)
Spices and Seasoning
- 5 tablespoons Gochugaru Korean red pepper flakes powder
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste bagoong alamang
- 2 teaspoons granulated white sugar
- Cut the lower end if the Napa Cabbage and then discard. Slice the cabbage into small squares (1.5 x 1.5 inch) by starting to slice the cabbage in half lengthwise and then continue by slicing crosswise until the desired shape and size is achieved.
- Place the chopped cabbage in a colander or a wide wire mesh. Wash with running water until clean.
- Arrange the cabbage in a large mixing bowl. Add salt. Gently mash salt all over the cabbage using your hands. Pour cold water until the cabbage is fully submerged. Cover the bowl with a clear plastic wrap. Let the cabbage soak for 18 to 24 hours.
- Discard the water and place the cabbage back on the colander or wire mesh. Wash with running water. Let all the liquid drip off. Set aside.
- Combine cabbage, scallions, ginger, garlic, Daikon radish in a large mixing bowl. Toss.
- Add all the spices and seasoning ingredients (see recipe above). Toss once more until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Arrange in a large mason jar or Kimchi container. Cover the container tightly and place in a dark spot in room temperature for 20 to 28 hours. Note: The ingredients are starting to ferment at this point.
- Let the air escape from the container by opening it. Seal it once more and place inside the refrigerator to chill for 3 days.
- Serve as a side dish with your favorite food, or use it as an ingredient to make other dishes such as Kimchi fried rice.
- Share and enjoy!