Do you want to learn how to make meatloaf ? Meatloaf – when cooked properly – can be a moist, delicious culinary treat. It is usually made from ground beef, but there are variations using pork, lamb and poultry. Use these tips to refine your recipe or learn how to make meatloaf at home from scratch.
Choosing Ingredients for Meatloaf
Traditional meatloaf is made using pounds of ground beef. Ground chuck is considered to be a top meat option by both professional and home cooks because of its flavor. It is recommended that you look for beef with moderate fat because it helps it come out moist. You can substitute ground beef with veal, pork or lamb if you prefer.
The flavor of meatloaf can be enhanced in several ways. Some cooks broth, wine and even beer to boost the taste. Others prefer adding a bit of bacon, cheese and breadcrumbs to improve the texture. If you’re not a fan of moist meatloaf, you can make it firmer by running the meat through a grinder before cooking. Meatloaf is a versatile dish and you can add and eliminate ingredients until you find your perfect recipe.
Tips on How to Make Meatloaf at Home
The most important elements to consider when learning how to make meatloaf is texture and moisture. If the amount of meat is too much, you can replace ¼ of ground beef with vegetables like carrots and potatoes. Add about a cup of these vegetables and make sure they are finely grated. If the meatloaf is too dry, add a 1/3 cup of tomato juice or broth to moisten it. Using soft breadcrumbs instead of dry varieties can also increase moisture and enrich texture.
If you’re wondering why you should rub water on top of the loaf, it is simply to prevent it from cracking. Be careful not to pour the water on the loaf. Instead, wet your hands and gently run them on the surface of the loaf before baking.
Meatloaf offers culinary enthusiasts many flavor possibilities. Once you’ve learned how to make meatloaf using a simple recipe, you can try making loaves with other meats and ingredients. Keep a meat thermometer handy to cook different meats to the right temperatures.
How to Make Meatloaf
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- ½ cup yellow or white onion minced
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 whole egg beaten
- 1 can or 8 ounces of tomatoes diced
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs or oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 375F while you prepare the meatloaf mixture.
- Combine ground beef, ground pork, onions, egg, tomatoes and breadcrumbs or oats, sugar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Mix all the ingredients until well blended. If necessary, use hands to make sure all ingredients are mixed well.
- Transfer your meatloaf mixture into a bread pan or baking dish to shape like a loaf. Rub a little cool water on the top of the loaf and bake for 50 min. to 1 hour. Meatloaf is ready when it reaches an internal temperature of 170 F. Pork meatloaf is ready at 185F.
- Cool and serve.
- Share and enjoy!