Kangkong with Bagoong can be considered as an appetizer. It is composed of river spinach and shrimp paste. This recipe is so easy; you do not need any cooking experience in order to perfect this dish.
There are many ways to cook the kangkong: you can boil it; steam it; or blanch it. The method that I highly recommend is blanching. This involves boiling the kang kong for sometime and then soaking it directly in ice water. This method preserves the fresh color of the leaves and maintains the crisp texture of the stalk.
As for the bagoong, you may use the ready to eat bottled shrimp paste, or make one for yourself. Our ginisang bagoong recipe might come in handy.
Aside from the bagoong, you will need to brush the leaves with additional ingredients to enhance the flavor – all are listed in the recipe below.
Try this Kangkong with Bagoong Recipe and let me know what you think.
Kangkong with Bagoong Recipe
- 1 bunch Chinese Kang kong chopped into 5 inch pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce patis
- 1/4 cup ginisang bagoong
- 4 to 6 cups water for boiling
- 4 to 6 cups ice water
- 12 pieces ice cubes
- Cooking Procedure
- Pour water in a cooking pot and let boil.
- Put-in kangkong and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour ice water and add ice cubes in a large bowl.
- Transfer the vegetable from the cooking pot to the large bowl with cold water. Let it stay for 3 minutes. Drain.
- Combine sesame oil and fish sauce. Brush the kang kong leaves with this mixture.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with bagoong.
- Share and enjoy!