This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Kilawin is synonymous to ceviche. It is the Filipino way of preparing food by marinating in acid. Fish, meat, and vegetable can be marinated in vinegar (acetic acid), or calamansi (citric acid) until it gets fully cooked. There are certain dishes that needs extra cooking through fire. This dish is a good example. Kilawing labanos features daikon radish, which is locally referred to as Labanos. It is composed of thin slices of radish with pork and liver marinated in white vinegar.
Making kilawing labanos is easy. There are two procedures involved. The first requires marinating the radish and meat in vinegar until it gets partially cooked. It is important for the meat to be get cooked completely. For this reason, the entire mixture needs to be sautéed and cooked for at least 25 minutes, which leads us to the second procedure.
Let’s first talk about how to prepare the radish. Since this variety has a reputation when it comes to odor, we’ll need to get the juice out before cooking. Slicing the radish into thin pieces, and rubbing it with salt helps let the juice out. Rinse with water afterwards to get rid of the salt.
The marination part involves combining all the ingredients together, except for the garlic. I usually marinate the radish and pork in vinegar for at least 15 minutes. This partially cooks the mixture. Unlike tuna cevice, we cannot eat it right away, yet. Cooking is a must.
Simply saute garlic and add the mixture into the pot. Cook for 25 minutes and season with salt and pepper. This cooks the dish completely making it safer and more enjoyable to eat.
I enjoy having this with fried fish and warm white rice. Try this easy kilawing labanos recipe. Enjoy!
This also makes a good appetizer. You can serve it warm or cold depending on your preference.
- Slice the daikon radish into thin pieces. Arrange in a bowl and then add 2 tablespoons salt. Rub salt all over the radish slices and let is stay for 15 minutes. Squeeze the juice out of the radish. Rinse with water until all the salt goes off. Squeeze to release water.
- Combine prepared radish, pork, pork liver, sugar, onion, and white vinegar in a large bowl. Toss until well blended. Marinate for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot. Saute garlic until golden brown.
- Add the marinated mixture. Let boil. Stir and then adjust the heat between low to medium. Cover the pot and continue to cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper. Serve with warm white rice.
Watch How to Make Kilawing Labanos